𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝟰𝟱 - 𝗠𝗼𝘃𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗼𝗻 𝗶𝘀 𝗮𝗹𝘄𝗮𝘆𝘀 𝗵𝗮𝗿𝗱 ⍟ ⎊

【0】【0】【.】【0】【0】

】【0】【0】

⍟  ⎊

"How long has he been standing there?" Asked Sam, looking to Rhodey standing next to him and inspecting the unmoving figure by the lake.

"I don't know," answered Rhodey, "Friday said he left the building nearly an hour ago."

When Rhodey spotted Sam's worried expression he put a hand on his shoulder and patted him, signaling that they should give him some space. That when Steve was ready they'd know.

He hadn't said much ever since Tony and Nat passed, more likely saved everyone by sacrificing themselves, and even less so after seeing Tony again. 'Seeing' probably being more of a dream. That's what Steve thought for a while anyway.

The time machine, yes that is exactly what it is don't deny it, still stood there by the lake, completely untouched for nearly two months.

Steve kept a close eye on it, telling himself it was to make sure no one would use it without permission. But he knew no one but they could use it. It's not like you can buy Pym particles in your local Walmart.

Ashamed was Steve when he, often many times a day, envisioned himself stealing the particles and leaving this timeline for good to be with Tony.

He thought about the risks, about what Bruce told them about time travel. Steve would create a new branch in time, a deviant timeline. Those had to be avoided at all costs since it was the reason Steve even went back in time to return the stones again afterwards.

At this point Steve had itchy trigger fingers for those particles — his skin crawling uncomfortably each time he laid eyes on the time machine.

After standing by the lake for an hour, around 11 minutes after Sam and Rhodey left, Steve turned around and walked up to the time machine to stand on it. There was no purpose to his action, he simply wanted to see the very last smile the real Tony gave him.

"This is the fight of our lives" - Steve saw Tony turn his gaze to him in his periphery, of course he'd return the look - "and we're gonna win."

As if someone stood beside him Steve felt as though someone softly held his hand. He took a deep, shaky breath as he recreated blurry images of Tony's last smile.

Like it was an honor of the highest form Steve found pride in being the last person Tony smiled to.

"Whatever it takes."