Krulgalkrâk

She opened her eyes expecting to see the light of day, but it was still night. She didn't know what woke her, but she didn't think much of it till she moved to get closer to her companion and found an empty spot on the cot beside her. She glanced around but found no sign of him. She rose from the cot, wrapping the blanket around her bare form. Stepping out the door she almost missed him in the black, but for the glow of his eyes as he sat beside the door peering into the darkness.

"Isn't it a little early, even for you?" she questioned with a smirk but he said nothing. "Ghash?" she said earning a "hush." she raised a brow. "What?" she asked.

"Can you not smell it?" he asked without diverting his gaze. She raised her face to the air but could smell nothing but the familiar scent of flowers, bark, and soil.

"No. What is it?" she asked but he said nothing. She rolled her eyes in exasperation. Talking to a brick wall rapidly lost novelty value. But as she fell silent she did hear something, even if she could not smell it. She looked up, curiously identifying the sound. It was distant and vague, but she could make out a low rumble, and high screeches. "Orcs?" she asked. His silence confirmed her guess. "Well they're very distant, probably a camp by the sound of it." she reasoned.

"Far too close for comfort." he muttered.

"Well, there's nothing to do about it, we're working on our escape plan, there's no point in getting worked up about it." she said.

"We are too slow." he said.

"What do you want me to do, get my bag and set out now?!" she mocked.

"Night would not be wise, it would be safer to travel by day." he said.

"Seriously? That's your problem with that notion?!" she laughed. "Didn't you prefer to travel by night before?"

"That was a different situation." he replied. "At the time, the threat was man. Fair races hate the night, whilst we thrive in it. But now we are threatened by orcs. You and I may transverse through sunlight, unlike orcs." he explained.

"I don't really care when we travel, I was just- Ugh, never mind, the point is we will set off soon, so relax." she said.

"How soon?" he inquired.

She heaved a sigh, "I don't know, soon. Now come to bed." she said, but he wouldn't budge. Rolling her eyes, she moved to him. He had expected her to try and lead him inside and was ready to resist her, but all she did was sit in his lap and wrap his arm around her.

"What are you doing?" he questioned.

"Well, if you're not coming inside, then this is what I have." He watched her in both confusion and amusement as she leaned her head against him.

"You know if we were to be attacked now, this would be a cumbersome position." he said, getting only a "Yup." in response. Knowing reason would not sway her, he sighed, but held her close. Though the strange elf did relax him some, he never surrendered to sleep and remained vigilant. He was never sure if she was asleep or not, but she was certainly not taking the orcish threat seriously. But he let her rest.

It was dawn before she moved from his grasp and got dressed. He spent the day seeming uneasy, oft staring into the woods. She knew he would never be satisfied until they set off. But she couldn't help but feel hesitant at the concept of leaving. This had long been her home. She hunted, she slept, she lived all in these woods, and now she must leave. She knew he was right, and she knew that leaving was the only option she had, but so many years were spent there. Many years. Too many. It was time she left. As much as she loved that forest, she didn't think she could spend those years there again. Well, maybe she could with him, but it was time for the both of them to leave. So she turned her attention to her pack, finally conceding to his pressure, as she prepared to travel.

He had enough sense not to say 'about time', but he was visibly relieved. She extinguished the cinders in the smoker concluding the preparation and leaving the journey as the next step. She stood outside her hut, her pack, and travel cloak over her shoulders. Looking to the bare hut, she already began to grow anxious. The hut a comfort, the trees old friends. This journey would be nothing like the last and she was unprepared. "Come. We have a long journey ahead, and I shall not carry you." said her companion in familiar gruffness. She smiled. Turning on her heel and sprinting to catch up with him.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm coming!" It would be nothing like the last. It would be better, and she was prepared.