Galash

She could feel her leg slowly growing stronger, though not without a fair bit of babying. Though at that point she was getting tired of sitting still, so she hobbled around on the support of a stick, doing menial chores. She looked out the doorway, wondering what her companion was doing. He finally now wore chest armor. For the past few weeks, he'd gone shirtless, but now with the leather protection, he felt more orcish than he had. He looked ready for war.

Of course, then she saw his hair and chuckled. He instantly seemed less orcish. "What do you seek?" he said.

"Oh, nothing." she said with a smile. He shook his head, muttering something as he went back to what he was doing. "How long till you will leave?" she asked.

"However long it takes till I can hunt enough food." he replied. "Though I have not seen many deer."

"Well, that's cause it's going to rain." she said.

"What?" he asked turning back at her.

"Yeah, you can tell in the breeze." she said simply.

"Skai!" he yelled, stamping his foot.

"Pardon?" she asked.

"Nothing!" he barked. "How much longer shall I be detained!?" he asked no one.

"Well, there's no point getting mad about it. It could be worse." she said.

"Your insight is astounding." he growled.

"Aren't you glad you have it." she said with a smirk.

"Confounded woman..." he muttered under his breath. If the weather was ever in doubt, then the thunder in the distance confirmed her suspicion. That and the fact that the night was growing cold. She lay on the cot trying to find warmth in the cloth to no avail. Typically she would go out and get wood for the night, but in her condition, that wasn't going to happen. So she just curled up and hid under the covers.

Her eyes darted open as she heard the sound of the door closing. She looked to the floor where her companion had been lying, but only found a bare blanket. She propped herself up, looking around. She wondered if she should get up and see where he was, but before long, she laid back down as the door opened, and in he walked, his arms full of wood. He quietly closed the door and knelt to feed the fire.

He then sat back on his blanket, watching the lashing of the flames. "You should be resting..." he said in a low, and soft voice. She propped herself up on her elbow.

"I can't." she said.

"Sleep is a luxury. Do not waste it." he said, his eyes still trained on the fire.

"You're still awake." she said. He was quiet. She sat up on the cot as she faced him. "Hey, what was your life like before we met?" she asked. Still, he remained silent. "What did you do? Did you have family?" she pushed. He didn't so much as blink. She pulled the blanket away from her feet, and sat on the floor with her back to the fire, facing the Uruk. "Do you know your family?" she pressed, but still he watched the fire. "Ghashnaga." she said. Finally, his eyes broke away from the fire, and looked to her. "Won't you tell me?" she asked. For a time he looked over her face silently, till he finally whispered.

"We do not lead the lives of elves..." she wondered at this vague response.

"Can you at the very least tell me what it looked like where you were born? I had trees, and flowers, and streams. What about you?" she urged.

"... Fire..." he said, casting his eyes back on the flames. She stared at him in confusion and interest. She'd never seen him seem so distant, so distracted. She wanted to ask more, but she knew she would get nothing more from him. In a way, she felt responsible for his behavior. She couldn't know what his life was like.

"Um... Ghashnaga... Um, Ghash? I didn't mean to upset you, or any-"

"Hush." he said softly. His gaze was now on her, and a small, almost invisible, smile pulled at his lips. "You should rest." he said. She wasn't sure why, but she couldn't move. She felt as if she were frozen in place and all she could do was watch him and listen...

It couldn't have been for but a moment before she mentally shook herself, stood, and laid back on the cot, her back to the Uruk. He sat for a time, staring, not at the fire, but at where she had been. He didn't know why but he did. She was no longer tired, and no longer cold. In fact, she felt confused and hot. But still, she pulled the blanket over her shoulder and closed her eyes. She somehow felt wrong, as if she'd done something she shouldn't have. She felt as if she wanted something, but she didn't know what. She wrapped her hand around her necklace and tried to ignore her thoughts, if for the night.