Gakhgalkrith

They walked in silence, the men leading him by the ropes that bound his hands tightly behind his back. The men seemed to feel a mixture of curiosity and unease at the concept of bringing an Uruk Hai into the city. None of them spoke, they just walked and gave him the occasional tug. They slowly approached the gates of the city. He could see the guards peering down at him from the wall. The gates opened and they walked through. Villagers all stopped in their work to stare at the monster that had been brought into their home. They were confused and afraid, and so they should be, as he fought his instincts. 

Aragorn signaled a halt. "Watch him, I'll see if the king wishes to deal with this. Get him off the streets." he said, glancing to the wary folk that watched. They nodded and tugged him away. Aragorn walked the steps and entered the throne room.

"Ah, there you are, Aragorn." said the commanding voice of the king as he sat upon the throne.

"My lord, have you a moment to spare? We've a small situation that we'd like your ruling on." he said.

"I suppose, what is it?" asked the king.

"Well, we have obtained a servant of Isengard. I have been advised that he may be useful for information, but I thought that should be your choice." explained Aragorn.

"Well, if we can get them to talk I don't see the issue. Why does this need my ruling?" he asked.

"Well," Aragorn began with a chuckle, "it's a little unusual..."

They'd taken Ghash to a prison cell, but he was only there for a minute or two before they came back to collect him. They led him down a few halls and up stairs till he came to a door. It opened revealing a broad room, hung with worn tapestries and warmed by a fire pit. They led him up and before the throne and the king. Ghash had been told that the king had grown frail and old, a mere puppet of his master. And yet the man ahead of him wasn't in the least frail. True he was old, his thick beard white, and his face cracked by years, but he seemed strong, and no fool. Either Ghash had been miss informed, or things had changed. Everyone in the room eyed him warily, save the king whose face was one of suspicion.

"Well, then. I've been told the situation, but I want it from the horse's mouth. So, creature, tell me." he said. Ghash was a little surprised to be spoken to directly by the king and looked over the room with equal suspicion to the king.

Turning his gaze back on the king, he said, "I wish to offer you my services. To fight and die in defense of your people." he stated. The room jumped at the sound of his rumbling, deep, yet clear voice, save the king, who sat fingering his beard thoughtfully.

"Is that so? Well, I have been exposed to much of Saruman's lies of late, you must forgive me if I seem a little hesitant to accept the word of an orc from his creation." Said the king, a skeptical brow raised.

Ghash bit back the urge to correct him, saying, "I understand this. But I am not here on behalf of Saruman. I am here to offer my life, for what it is worth to you." the king nodded in understanding.

"I have been advised that if I were to spare you, you may have information. What can you say to this?" Ghash was quiet as he turned his head down.

"I am afraid I have long been separated from my kind. Much of my information may be inaccurate, or may have already come to pass."

The king leaned back in his chair, "Ah, so that's your claim. You have no information to give. How very convenient." said the king.

"I did not say I would not offer it, I only meant that it may not be of use." Ghash explained.

"Yes and that is as fruitful as nothing at all. Though to be fair, even if you claimed to have earth-shattering information, there would be no way to trust it, would there?" the king countered.

"Perhaps not, but I am not a counselor, I am a soldier. If Saruman truly intended to gain your trust would it not be wiser to send a creature you would not kill on sight? Regardless he would have no need, spies have resided here for years." Ghash finished. At this final statement, the king's brows furrowed as he peered at him. He was quiet for a moment as he cast a thoughtful look on him.

"Tell me, you are a soldier, yes? And by looking at you I get the impression you have seen a few battles, is this so?"

"It is." confirmed Ghash.

"And can I assume that for at least some of these battles you have been the victor?"

"You may."

"Then would it be such a leap of logic to assume that some of these battles may have been held against my people or those of equal innocence?"

Ghash was quiet for a moment before saying, "It would not..." He heard those around him mutter to each other at his response.

The king leaned back. "You can surely understand my reluctance."

Ghash said nothing for a time before saying, "I have killed many men, and have caused the death of many others. I do not deny this. This is the way of war. This can not be changed. All I can do is offer my services. If you were to accept them, I would do all in my power to help as many men as I can live to see another day. Even if this is just one man, would not the gain out way the risk?" he reasoned.

"I am unsure. No doubt if you were actually inclined to aid us that would be useful, but there is no word you can give that I can trust." Said the king.

"My people have great regard for honor, we do not break our oaths." said Ghash with an air of indigence.

"Is that so?" scoffed the king. "I may not know too much about your kind, but I do know that you are forged by Saruman, and owe allegiance to him. Or am I mistaken?"

"You are correct." said Ghash.

"And yet here you are, betraying one lord then claiming honor to another. Your word means nothing." finished the king.

"I swore fealty to Saruman, yes. He is the master of my race. But his oath was one taken, this one I give freely." he said.

"And if not for your master, then why? Why do you offer it? What's in it for you? Are you hoping to be spared?" he questioned.

"Well, I would not be adverse, but I would not expect to be, I do not really expect to survive the war regardless."

The king shook his head. "No. You speak well, orc, too well. You are unreliable."

"I do not expect a pardon, and I do not deserve trust! All I ask is that you think about this logically. I am Uruk Hai, I know all our strengths and weaknesses. I know our tactics, I can help, if I am permitted! Let me prepare your men for the battle, and they may stand a better chance!" he urged. The king looked thoughtful for a moment.

"You never said why you would do this." said the king.

"You are not the only one who wishes to keep the Dark Lord from victory."

The king said nothing for a time, before commanding the guards to take him away. They led him out, leaving the king to ponder. "I see what you mean by odd." he said.

"What's the verdict, my lord?" asked Aragorn.

"Well, I don't like any of this, but I'll admit, only you three know anything of the orcs of Isengard, it would be good to know how they work..." he mused.

"I suppose." muttered Aragorn. The king shook his head.

"But this just seems off..." added the king, "What do you think?" he said looking to Legolas.

"Well, this could be a risk, but it is likely the only opportunity we have at insight into their workings." he said. 

"Well, that doesn't help make my mind up! But if this is a trick, why send an orc?" the king questioned.

"Well, the Uruk Hai are known to be smarter than your standard orc, but that's usually tactical genius, they're not known to be good tricksters, too much temper and battle drive." said Aragorn.

"Hmm... Quite a pretty little puzzle I've got." he muttered as they all stood mulling it over.  Just then the door opened revealing a tall figure.

"It's just too long a walk if we want to move the whole city-" said the figure before being cut off.

"Ah, Storm Crow, just the man we need for this! Would you mind lending your mind to me for a moment to settle a small issue?" Said the king.