Udu

Her eyes sprang open, as she jumped awake. Her eyes darted around in search of the creature but found the room empty, and the door open. Jumping to her feet, she raced to the door looking about the area. It didn't take long for her to find it, arms full of fallen branches and wood.

"When do you get up?" she asked.

"When I wake." he responded without giving her so much as a glance. Walking to the creature, she pulled the lumber from its grasp.

"Is this what you do for entertainment? Gather firewood?" she said as she headed back to the hut.

"Until you inform me of my initial location from which you took me." He said.

She paused for a moment. "Right, the battleground." She continued, dropping the wood in her lumber pile. "What will you do when you get there?" she asked.

"I shall persist to battle." it said with narrowed eyes.

"But all the others in your troop are dead." she said, looking to it in confusion.

"Then I shall take charge of a new troop." he responded, seeming to grow tired.

"Take charge?" she asked.

"You ask too much." it said.

"You led the troop? What are you, some kind of leader?" she pressed.

It gave a low growl, "You tire me..." he muttered. "Where did you find me?.." it questioned. She tried staring an answer out of him, but its stare was equally determined.

She sighed, "Fine. I'll take you there." she said. Grabbing her bow and quiver, she gave a quick, "Come on." before setting off. The creature followed, picking up its sharpened spear as it went. They walked in silence, leaving her to her thoughts. She wasn't certain that she wanted to see what had become of the corpses after a week, she wasn't even certain they would still be there. Could the creature be so callous to the bodies of those it knew? She didn't suppose bonds were in their nature.

Not wanting to think about what she would find, she chose to break the silence. "So, you lead troops?" she asked.

He sighed, "Silence is a chaste matron around you." it muttered.

"Come on, if I'm going to lead you about, the least you can do is answer my question." she urged.

"You have one too many questions." he said. "Yes, I am a commander." it conceded.

"And you figure there will be another troop for you?" she said.

"I expect I shall have to take one, but there must be many uncontrolled troops available." he said.

"How many are there?" she asked. This time he simply raised a brow, looking at her as if she had asked a ridiculous question. "What?" she asked, but he just shook his head. They walked a little further wordlessly, till she chose to ask yet another question. "Will you be leaving after I get you there?"

"Thus would be logical. I am a week behind schedule." it said.

"Schedule?" she scoffed. It gave her a sharp stare.

"You know there is a war, do you not?" it questioned.

"Well, last I had heard, it was hearsay of war. Not really official." she said.

"Your knowledge of the outside world is limited." said the creature, turning back to the path.

"Limited!?" she said, glaring up at it. As she did, her foot caught against a stone, forcing her to quickly catch herself on her hands and knees. He halted, grasping her arm and pulling her to her feet.

"Focus." he said, continuing his stride. She dusted herself and jogged to catch up.

"Hey, wait, why are you in such a rush anyway?" she asked.

"Have you not been listening?" it grumbled.

"Well, yeah, but why are you so determined to get back to war? What are you fighting for?" she asked.

"I fight for my master." it said abruptly.

"Right, now why?" she pressed.

"I am a soldier, not a politician." he replied.

"Doesn't seem like you have much reason." she said. He suddenly stopped, catching her by her shoulder, forcing her to stop. She was about to complain but was silenced by its glare.

"I am an Uruk-Hai, made by and for my master. Engineered to kill man and elf, and hated by man and elf. That is the way it is. Do not lecture me, She-elf." he finished.

Her brows furrowed. "It's not 'she-elf', it's Elayin. Get it right if you plan to kill me." She said, knocking his hand off her shoulder, and walking ahead. She'd expected him to catch up, but it simply followed, not breaking the distance between them, and she had no intention of slowing for him so they continued in silence that went unbroken.

She could tell they were getting close by the main telltale sign, making her even more reluctant to continue. She didn't doubt that carrion would have already laid claim to the area, but she tried to ignore that fact as she came closer and closer. As she walked, she began to hear something, she wasn't certain what. Turning her focus to the sound, she could tell it was getting louder as she approached the battlegrounds. It was faint, but she could hear it clearly.

She took her bow from her shoulder, and pulling an arrow from her quiver, she approached with greater care. As the site came into view, she knew what the sound was. Apparently, a pack of wolves had gotten there sooner than she. She stayed her arrow, waiting to see if the wolves would flee, or would choose to defend their find.

Stepping closer, the creatures noticed her but didn't seem aggressive, that was until she stepped close enough to reach the bodies. At this, the wolf turned on the offensive, baring its teeth and snarling. Loosing her arrow, it pierced the animal's shoulder sending it scurrying away rapidly, the other wolves in toe.

She continued to the opening, passing numerous rotted corpses. She tried to ignore it, or else feel sick. She began to reach the center of the scene, passing the orc of the wolves' interest. She turned back in an attempt to see what the creature was doing when her eye was caught by the gaze of a different creature. The instant her eyes met those of the wolf, she saw the rage cross its face. She reached for an arrow, instantly sending the beast on the attack.

Knocking her to the ground she blocked her throat with her arm. This worked too well as the wolf bit down on her wrist, twisting its head to and fro. She gave a cry of pain as its teeth passed her leather sleeves. She desperately reached for an arrow that had fallen from her quiver. Reaching it, she slammed it against the animal making it release its grip.

She tried to rise, propping herself up, but was immediately knocked back down by the enraged allies of the wolf. She quickly shielded herself from the snapping jaws and deafening barks, the blood drawing them right back to her arm and her leg, as if she were a game of tug of war. She beat her fist against the beast in a blind panic, not knowing what else to do, till a flash of black, and a spray of red-coated her face, giving her limited time to process as an orcish sword cleaved the animal's neck from its shoulders.

Releasing a paralyzing roar, silencing all barks and snarls, the Uruk sent the remaining wolves running in terror, giving a final yell of victory.