Gakhgalskri

He'd walked tirelessly for days, crossing the fields, intent on his destination. He paused for the first time as the city finally came into view. His assurance faded as he faced the horizon. What was the plan? He didn't really have one, he mostly hoped that inspiration would come by the time he got there. He continued toward the city slower now and with more care, unsure who might see him. How would he get in? Particularly without being immediately killed. This was an astoundingly bad idea...

He carefully observed his surroundings as he walked. There were guards scattered through the city. Not many, it would be easy pickings for the Uruk armies, they hadn't a chance at survival. The city was weak, and from what he understood, the king was weaker. Their only chance at a fight was to draft their civilians to be soldiers in order to fill the ranks. They had strong men to fight before, but they had been all but outlawed and disbanded, his master had seen to it. So what were their chances? Not good, and he would give little aid even assuming he could get in without being killed.

He knew there were spies in the city, he'd seen one of them before alongside his master. A weak orc-like man, but silver-tongued so he had heard. Could he perhaps warn of this? No, they would never listen to him. His word competing with that of a trusted man would raise no doubt. They were doomed, as was he, but he had to try something. First and foremost, how would he get in? He couldn't surrender himself to the guards, they'd shoot him without a second thought, and they'd be right to! So how!?

The walls grew ever closer but seeing a party of men outside the city walls, he pressed his back to a large stone and hid in silence. Ok, think, what now? If this city were to fall, the war would be all but won. He had to do something, or the dark lord would turn to the elves, but what!!? He looked to see if the men had left, but still, they stood. It was then that he realized they weren't just men. There may have been five or so men, but there also stood an elven hunter and a dwarven warrior.

His brows furrowed as he looked to them. A strange party... He saw one of the men seemed to bear greater authority than others, likely a commander of sorts, as the rest of the party turned to him. But he didn't look like a commander. His armor was tattered and about his neck, a cloak hung. A strange leader, but he definitely seemed in charge. The rest of the men all wore armor bearing the symbol of Rohan, but he, the elf, and the dwarf did not. 

It seemed to be some sort of small scouting party, not set for a full battle, but they didn't look in the least bit helpless. He needed something, and maybe this could be an opportunity. He wasn't sure how, but he needed to start somewhere. Perhaps if he could get his hands on one of them he could get somewhere. He wasn't going to go for the leader, for one thing, he was likely a better fighter and for another he needed someone with authority to remain near. He didn't doubt his capabilities, but he was also not too fool hearty to think he could easily take the elf, so not him. He considered the dwarf, but that would simply be too much trouble. His eyes went to the men, some of them were older and more experienced, but one seemed particularly young. He didn't look like a fool, but of them, he would be the easiest.

Ok, that's one part of the plan, but how to get him? The moment he would approach, the elf would likely shoot him and otherwise, they would overpower him. He needed the element of surprise. He needed to get closer but he was concerned the elf would hear if he got too near. He dropped his bag to keep quiet, then he slowly crept closer, moving from rock to rock for cover. He could hear them speaking amongst themselves as he sat in waiting.

He guessed that to run, grab the boy, then get to shelter would take him roughly fifteen seconds, but that was more than enough time for the elf to take a shot at him. He could use the boy as a shield, but he was much bigger than him, and would still be exposed. He could take a shot to the arm or leg, but his chest was broader than the boy's, and that, he would not likely survive. He knew that no elf would sacrifice the boy to kill the enemy, but he also knew that the elf was perfectly capable of making risky shots without fear of harming the boy. It was damn risky, but there was nothing for it. He had to be fast, that was his only chance!