Utgalkrak

Elayin paced the room, Calen in her arms, and Dani watching her in exasperation. "My lady, it will do you no good to stress!" she reasoned.

"Stressing is a little out of my control, Dani!" she countered, "I need to think of something, and my stupid brain feels like porridge!" It had been a day or so since she was confined to her room. Dani was allowed to come and go at will, which provided the meals, but little more as no news came. She hadn't seen Ghash since that one interaction. She supposed the king hadn't sentenced him yet.

How was this fair!? No defense, no explanation, he was just to be judged and that be the end of it? What did the king know of it?! They didn't know him! And what about Calen? Would they just casually make him a bastard and call it a day!? Of all people, she thought Legolas would help, but now it seemed he would be the first one to condemn him! And what would the king think? Very little she supposed. He would just be another Uruk to kill for his crimes. He had no true obligation to spare him, so why should he?

"My lady, please sit down!" exclaimed Dani, "This isn't good for you."

"They'll kill him, Dani." she said bitterly.

"Please, my lady."

"And when they do it'll be just me and Calen, that is if they don't take him from me too."

"Lord Legolas wouldn't do that!" reasoned Dani.

"He would..." she muttered. She looked to the little face of the babe. He looked a little confused by what was troubling his mother, but a lack of vocabulary makes it difficult to voice these concerns. Strange that something like this could mean so much. She heaved a sigh. "I can't lose him..." she whispered. Dani's brows furrowed as she heard her mistress speak. She'd never seen this side of her. All the time she was a child, she hadn't seen her so beaten and rigid.

Her lips pressed together as she thought. Looking up to her, she spoke saying, "No one will hurt Master Calen. I promise." her voice even and determined. Elayin glanced to her, then smiled gently.

"Where would I be if you weren't so bossy." she joked, and a faint smile came to Dani's lips. They both jumped as they heard a knock on the door, followed by a voice.

"My lady? Lord Aragorn has summoned you to the throne room." Said a young male voice.

"What does he want?" she asked suspiciously.

"I don't know, it's something to do with the prisoner, he thought it may interest you." replied the voice. "Don't tarry." Elayin turned to Dani anxiously, as if seeking an explanation. Dani opened her mouth then closed it as she rose to her feet, and gently pulled Calen from her arms.

"I'll look after him, you best go, see what it's about." she urged.

"It'll be a judgment on him. Or possibly even me, I can't promise what I've done is legal." she muttered nervously.

"Come now, best foot forward. I'm sure it'll be fine." she said with a forced smile. At that instant, all Elayin wanted was to hold Calen and stay right there, but she turned for the door and tentatively stepped out. The guard next to her door offered her a gentle arm, having heard that she was not likely to be at her strongest. She didn't acknowledge it, stepping hesitantly forward. The guard led her down the halls, passing through doors, and approaching the great chamber. Coming to a great door, opened by two other men, she entered a grand, bright room of white, gray, and silver.

Far in the room was a stair that led to a high throne. Beside it sat a lesser throne, and on neither sat Aragorn, the king by right. He sat on the steps leading to the throne, his posture relaxed, and yet he exuded ancient, valorous nobility. Slowly crossing the marble floors to him, he rose momentarily, addressing her with a faint bow and a "my lady" before sitting back down. Elayin glanced around, trying to understand what was going on. Across the room, leaning against the wall with his arms crossed, stood Legolas looking darkly at her with his brows tightly knitted and his posture immovable. She frowned for a moment before casting her gaze back on the soon-to-be king.