Gakhgalkrul

She rode silently as the path grew more and more distantly familiar as if one were reliving scenes of a dream. Then the gates of Murkwood came into view, standing as the grand harbinger of the great city. "Hey, open up!" cried the man behind her.

"Who says?" shot back a voice.

"Me! Open up you silly fool." he replied.

"Alright, alright, just having some fun!" said the voice as it began to open the gates.

"I am in no mood for your fun at this instant." said the man. As the gates opened and the keepers saw the party, they too lost their playful moods. Now they were just confused.

"Where are the rest?" they asked.

"On a hunt." he replied. They nodded, feeling slightly relieved, whereas a sharp pang hit her at the use of "hunt" in regards to her companion.

"But then who is this?" he pressed as he looked to her.

"You do have a lot of questions! Don't you know your own people!" he replied. He dismounted the horse then offered her a hand down, which she seemed not to see as she slid from the creature's back. She still felt a flurry of emotions, but she knew it would be more trouble for her if she displayed them. So she fought to revive a look of calm. "Come, my lady. We must get you to your home!" said the man as he tried to lead her along. At that point, she had realized there was nothing she could do to avoid this reunion, so she walked ahead. It had been a long time since she last walked those paths. Many a long memory she had made there, but that was long ago. As they walked, the man beside her sent a guard with a message foretelling a great surprise. She supposed that explained the readiness of the guards to open the doors to the castle and the curiosity they displayed.

At this point, the man beside her was following her as she walked along the corridors. Then the doors opened before her revealing the main hall. There waiting stood many people she had once known well, all staring in shock, confusion, and amazement. Slowly the people congregated ahead of her and stared. Across the room from her sat the regal, albeit bewildered, countenance of the great King she had once looked up to, but her eyes spared him but a moment as they focused on the young woman that stood centered in the hall. The woman was slighter of frame and fairer of complexion than Elayin. Her clothes of fine fabric and workman's ship, and her hair carefully maintained. But despite her softer features, the similarity between the two was undeniable. The two made eye contact, and the woman froze as Elayin spoke, "Hello, mother."

The sun was setting as the two riders meandered back and forth in an attempt to find him. He did nothing, patiently waiting for them to grow tired, they couldn't keep tracking him all night! Dusk was falling, but still, they persisted, if anything they seemed more alert. Maybe they had guessed that he would prefer the darkness. Damn it, he should have guessed! Growing weary of sitting in the tree, he waited till they were just far enough out of earshot before he dropped down from the tree and began running. He had to be reaching the outskirts. He would not be safe, but they would be less willing to hunt off of their homeland. The sky was growing black and he could still hear the horses. What if they pursued him over the planes? He didn't think they would, but he still needed some sort of safety.

It then occurred to him that the chances of them approaching the territory of Dol Guldur was next to none. He changed his direction slightly and was racing for the southern borders of Murkwood. Chances were that they would give up before he reached Dol Guldur, which would be all the better as he didn't really want to reach the ruins fully, knowing not what lived there or if it would think of him as ally or enemy. For a long while, he could still hear them, but slowly the sounds began to fade. Still, he persisted, not willing to trust the distance. He didn't know how long he had been running, he wasn't even sure where he was, all he knew was he was racing to the south, but aside from that he didn't know, and didn't care.

Finally, after what felt like hours, which it may very well have been, he slowed his pace until he collapsed heavily upon his knees, pouring sweat and panting for breath. He dragged himself to lean against a tree as he fought for breath. He didn't feel any pain, but he knew that was only the adrenaline. As he looked over himself, he got an idea as to how he would feel once that wore off. His arms and legs were coated in blood. Partially because of the wounds he had made then opened up while running, and partially because of all the scrapes and cuts he had gained from briars, branches, and thorns. He didn't know how long he had been running at full speed, but he was certain he would feel the repercussions of it later. Between the tattered armor he wore, the sweat and blood, and the dirt, he looked like hell.

Looking about, his eyes landed on a familiar type of berry. He hadn't had time to consider tending his wounds until then, though many of those wounds were quite severe. Remembering his pack, he pulled it from his back and roughly fumbled for his canister of water. Finding it, he poured a portion over his wounded arm, cleansing it of the blood. Dragging himself to his feet, he threw the bag down, reached for the berries, and crushed a handful in his palm. He piled the pulp onto his deeper wounds and tied them in place with scraps of cloth from his bag. He heaved a sigh. Ok, what now?

The woman stared dumbfounded for a time, saying and doing nothing. Then, as if it finally sank in, a tear fell from the woman's cheek, then another. "Elayin?" she asked.

"Yep, it's me." she said with an expression of discomfort. The woman suddenly dashed forward cupping her face in her hands looking over her face as if to make sure it was her.

"I can't believe-" trailed the woman amidst sobs and showers of kisses. "How could you!?" she cried, "I thought I'd lost you! How could you do that to me!?" she finally let go of her face and desperately tried to clear the tears from her eyes. Her mother turned to the man that had found her. "Where did you find her?" she asked.

"Um, well my lady, we were following a scent for about a day when we found her caught by an... An Uruk Hai, ma'am..." stammered the man. Her mother suddenly shot her gaze back on her daughter, whose gaze was downcast. She instantly felt ashamed for reprimanding her.

"My child..." she sobbed as she embraced her.

"Mother, I'm fine, really." She said.

"Ugh, stiff-lipped as always! Where have you been? What happened- No don't tell me." said her mother. As much simpler as it would be to let her believe she'd spent the years abducted by an Uruk, she couldn't let her mother imagine all the atrocities she dreamed Uruks and orcs did.

"Really, I'm fine. I wasn't... caught up with the Uruk long." she said.

"Then where on earth have you been!?" she demanded.

"Elena," began a clear and commanding voice as the king rose from his throne. "I understand what you are feeling, believe me, I do, but let the child rest before you interrogate her." Said the king. The woman's gaze turned downcast as she stepped back from her daughter. 

She cleared her throat, "Um, yes, you're right, of course, my lord. I just... Come with me." she said as she began to walk. She followed her lead, despite remembering where her room was. It felt like deja vu. The halls, the walls, it all felt the same, as if nothing changed. This was the same when they reached her room. As she looked in, it was all the same. It was even as dusty as she had left it!

"Wow, it's..." she said as she tried to break the silence.

"Yes." her mother replied briefly. "I'll have some fresh clothes sent over. In the meantime, tidy yourself up some, and... We'll speak later..." she said, then she walked out closing the door behind herself.