Galgakh

As her leg was finally in better condition, she requested, or more demanded, to accompany Ghashnaga on his hunting trip. It wasn't like she would be an inconvenience, having been a skilled hunter in her own right, but still, he grumbled. Though he couldn't say much as they had to stay quiet to listen and to keep the deer from hearing them.

The whole trip was filled with silent exchanges of glares and looks. He would want her to do something, she would do the opposite, he would stare hatefully, and she would smile condescendingly, and such went the journey, till they both stopped, hearing a light rustling nearby. They both peered through the foliage until she felt a hand turn her head to face a certain direction. There stood a large, young deer, grazing through the leaves.

Putting an arrow to her bow, she drew back the string. She took her time, perfecting her aim, watching every move the creature made. Then the string almost slipped from her grip as she felt a hand against hers, steadying her. She glanced at the Uruk's face that hovered beside hers, eyes trained on the deer. Remembering what she was doing, she looked back, readied herself, and released.

As the creature fell to the ground, Ghashnaga stood straight, giving a roar of victory. She glared at him. "You know I don't need your help to use a bow!" she said, no longer concerned about the deer hearing her.

"Well, you were giving both yourself and the animal plenty of time to make a move. How was I certain which would move first." he replied.

"Well it's not going to be making any moves at the speed which you're going!" she snapped. He rolled his eyes and went to collect the deer.

"This should be enough." he mused as they made their trip back. She nodded quietly. He looked to her as she walked in silent thought. He said nothing for a time before he finally said. "Why do you not return to Murkwood?" she swung her head around to look at him.

"Murkwood? Why?" she questioned. He shrugged. "Well, why would I go back? I like it out here! I can hunt and not need to worry about the bustle and feasts." she said.

"But you do not seem content." he said.

"I'm fine, I like it out here! I don't need a bunch of people telling me what to do, and I don't need people I have to be nice to because of blood." she said.

"Perhaps not." he muttered. "But perhaps you need the one that gave you that gem you wear." he added. She looked back to him suddenly, but his focus was back on the path. Returning to the hut, they began processing their catch. She felt like he was hovering over her less and was instead quietly helping ferry tools and harvested portions. This job was always tedious and revolting, but this time it went by faster and was less of a chore. Mainly due to the creature's easier placement. They soon finished the job, leaving the meat in a smokehouse, and Ghashnaga to finish his remaining tasks.

It took another few days, but he finished packing food and water and plotting his journey. "There should be enough meat in the smoker to replenish what I have taken." he muttered as he ransacked his pack.

"Well, I'll still need to hunt." she said.

"Though you shall gain more if you learn when to release the arrow." he muttered.

"I had it handled!" she snapped. He simply gave her a look.

He glanced out the door. "I shall make a move soon." he said.

"It's sundown." she said questioningly.

"Precisely." he replied.

"Well, if you have an unfriendly meeting with an unhappy bear, don't say I didn't warn you." she said with a smirk.

"I do not see that as probable, but if you see fit to take the bear in out of pity, do not disclaim my warning to you." he muttered with a smirk. He stood straight, pulling the pack on his back with seeming complete ease.

"Well... I guess you'll be going now." she said. He gave a curt nod. "Try not to die out there." she said with a half-hearted laugh, though they both knew he probably would. "Hey, um... I was thinking." she began, he looked to her expectantly. Honestly, she didn't know what she was going to say, she just felt like she should say something.

She looked up to the Uruk-Hai's face as he waited with his usual stoic countenance. She began to feel strange again as she stood there wordlessly. She needed to say something, or do something, but she didn't know what. He just stood there, looking down at her as all was going dark. She finally gave up trying to understand what was going on in her mind and her body, and just let herself do the wrong thing she needed to do. Stepping forward and standing on tiptoe, she pressed her lips gently against his.

"What are you doing?" he questioned moving back slightly. She stood back down, feeling her face growing hot.

"Oh, um... It's an elvish method... Of showing affection..." she said, feeling awkward and embarrassed. She moved to step back but was stopped by his hand catching her chin. She watched in frozen surprise as he leaned down to her, locking his lips with hers. She was paralyzed for a time, not knowing what was happening, but finally, she closed her eyes and wrapped her arms around his neck, pulling him closer.

It couldn't have been for but a moment, but within that moment, a whole era passed by. She couldn't think, she forgot everything. She had no idea what he thought, but all she could understand was that this instant felt strangely right. It felt perfect.

He broke away silently. She opened her eyes, finding his face inches from hers. She could see the glow of his eyes as they flicked this way and that, dancing around her face. After a moment, he moved her aside and strode out the door. She watched him as he stopped and stood. "... Narnulubat, Elayin..." and with that, he walked away, without so much as looking back.

Standing there in the doorway, she felt numb. She couldn't decide if she felt better or worse. She should have hated what happened, but she didn't. She was raised to know the evils of the orcs and Uruk-Hai, but instead of revulsion, she wanted him back. At that moment, she hadn't a doubt in her mind that she'd never felt more lonely. What had she done to herself...