Utgalskri

Elayin woke for what seemed at first to be unknown reasons, but soon she recognized the cries emanating from the room across from her. Slowly, and grogily, she rose and crossed the cold, stone floor to the door. She could hear Dani's desperate attempts to shush the child until Elayin knocked on the door. She answered the door with an anxious expression meeting Elayin's calm and unconcerned disposition.

"Forgive me, my lady! I did try!" she said. Elayin simply took Calen from her arms, turning to reenter her bedroom.

"It's fine. Not your fault people get hungry." she said dismissively.

"I know, but I had hoped you would sleep." she said, following behind her.

"I did, and it's about time I woke up anyway." Elayin sat on the bed as Calen finally fell quiet, sparing the world further auditory assaults.

"Well then, you'll be needing something to eat. If you'll excuse me, I'll go find us some breakfast." said Dani before excusing herself. Elayin sat, slowly letting herself wake fully whilst Calen lay in her arms being wide awake, and full of energy. He peered about the room as though it were all new scenery in between looking to his mother as if to say "Hey mom, did you see that? What is that?" but being only about a week old, that and the occasional squeak was the most he could do to question the woman.

Dani was not gone long before she reentered the room with a tray carrying tea and sandwiches. "I hope you are feeling up to eating today."

"Up to and beyond, I'm starving!" she said, laying Calen in her lap and reaching for a cup of tea and a sandwich. Calen looked up at her in bewilderment, having a new interest in the world. He scrutinized the sandwich and examined the steam rising from the cup. Elayin chuckled at the little boy's curiosity. "You're going to be an inquisitive child, aren't you?" Dani looked over to him with a smile but said nothing, her eyes moving to her tea. "I wonder how tall you're going to be." mused Elayin. "Cause I'm just sorta average for an elven woman, but your father's pretty tall for... Well, he's pretty tall. Mother's always been kinda short, but father was very tall! Dani, what do you think?" upon hearing her name, she jumped, looking at her suddenly.

"My lady?"

"I just asked how tall you thought he'd be." answered Elayin.

"Oh." Muttered Dani dumbly, turning back to her tea.

"I mean, it was just a random thought, not very important." said Elayin with a raised brow.

"Of course, my lady." She muttered. Elayin looked at her with furrowed brows, sensing an uneasiness in her tone.

"Dani? Is something wrong?" she asked.

"No! No of course not!" she exclaimed. "Well, not really?" Elayin stared at her questioningly. Dani set her cup aside, clasping her hands nervously. "Well... I saw Lord Legolas last night..." Elayin's face darkened with suspicion at the implication.

"Oh yes?"

"Yes. He... He wishes to speak with you. Or rather for you to find him to speak at your discretion." she explained.

Elayin's face softened. "Oh. Well, that's not bad. What, did he seem as though he had bad news?"

"No." she said slowly.

"Well? Then what's the problem? Or is there one?" she said in exasperation.

"... He met Calen..." she admitted nervously.

Elayin's brows fell again as she breathed a simple, "Oh."

"I didn't do it on purpose! I mean I wouldn't presume to introduce them when you weren't there! But he sort of-... Um... Well... I suppose... I mean nothing bad happened!" she rambled anxiously.