7. The Perfect Gentlemen

A date with Jace Spear was never something I ever expected to be getting ready for.

 “What shoes are you going to wear?” Essence asked me as I frantically ran around my room in a towel trying to find something to put on.

I had Essence on speaker as she attempted to be my style guide. She was at a dinner with her dad and his girlfriend’s family. At the moment she was in the restaurant bathroom giving me advice.

“Essence I don’t know what shoes to wear! I still haven’t even put any clothes on yet,” I said.

“What?! Come on Spence he’s going to be there soon,” she said.

“This is so stressful! Why did I agree to this?” I said slumping down onto the floor.

“Relax and take two big deep breaths,” Essence said. “Wear your black leather leggings and nude pumps and the cute shirt I got you from Delia’s.”

I stood up from off the floor and smiled. “That is the perfect outfit! Thank you so much Essence. I don’t know what I would do without you,” I said running over to my closet and putting the combination together.

Of course it was perfect. Essence always knew what she was talking about.

“Call me when the date is over and I mean it.”

“I’ll call as soon as he drops me back off,” I promised her.

After hanging up I quickly put on the outfit and made sure my hair was straight.

As I was working on putting my mascara on I heard my mom calling my name.

“I’m in my bathroom mom.”

“You look nice sweetie. What’s the occasion?” she asks standing in the doorway.

“I have a date,” I said trying to hide my smile.

“A date? With who?”

 “Jace Spear.”

“His parents own the arts and craft store in town. I get my supplies from there,” she said. “I’ve never met their son before.”

His parents own a store?!

Wow.

“Where is he taking you?”

“He hasn’t told me. It’s a surprise,” I said putting the cap on my mascara and adding some lip gloss.

“Well I hope you have fun and don’t stay out too late. It’s a school night,” she said.

I finally turned around and took in her long black silky dress. “So I’m guessing you’re going out too?” I asked.

She smiled. “Yes. Your father is taking me to some art show in West Brook.”

West Brook was another town about two hours away.

“So you guys will be home pretty late,” I said.

My parents had been going out a lot lately and coming home later than usual. “Yeah honey but not too late. We have jobs you know,” she joked.

I knew that but sometimes I wasn’t sure if they knew or not as much as they were going out now and days.

“Money is in the usual place if you need it,” she said before kissing my cheek and exiting my room.

The doorbell rang and all of my confidence ran away and hid. Horror crept its way onto my face and I knew I needed to chill out or I would freak out.

Jace was here to pick me up for our date.

A date that I’m not sure I’m mentally prepared for.