3. Secret Looks

Class was painfully long and I jetted out of there as soon as the bell had rung. It was painful enough to have Jace's eyes on me the whole time but to not be able to look back at him was even harder.

Putting in my combination, I swung my locker open throwing my books inside expecting Essence to pop up soon.

"Spencer," said that deep voice scaring the crap out of me as I let out a squeal.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to scare you," Jace said hiding the smile that I knew he wanted to let free.

Guess he was saving me the embarrassment.

"Oh um hey Jace. Can I help you with something?"

How would I be able to ignore him if he was everywhere?

"So did you make a decision on whether you were coming to my party?" he asked.

SHIT.

"Oh yeah your party. Actually I don't have anything to wear so I'm not so sure," I said coming up with the absolute worst lie.

"I'm sure you'll look good in almost anything you wear," he said not hiding the fact that he was checking me out as his eyes scanned my body. I almost began to feel self-conscious in my tight jeans and black sweatshirt.

Once he finished looking at me he looked into my eyes and I knew right then that I would be going to his party.

"I'm sure I can- uh- you know, find something I- I guess," I said feeling lost in the swirls of grey.

A huge smile took over his face. "You don't know how much it means to me for you to come," he said excitement clear in his voice.

Why would my presence make him this happy?

"Okay well I'll see you there," I said shyly as I shut my locker and turned around needing to get away from him.

I let out another squeal when I saw Essence standing there with a smirk on her face.

She must have heard our conversation.

"Hey Essence," Jace said walking off as he gave me one last look before heading farther down the hall to Peter's locker.

"So I heard you're going to a party tonight?"

"Ess, I couldn't say no! You were so right. He has me under a spell and he doesn't even know it," I said putting my forehead up against my locker. "This attraction literally came out of nowhere!"

Essence patted my back with a knowing smile on her face. Even though she was doing her best friend duty to comfort me she knew she had been right all along about Jace.

"Look at it this way; he seems to like you just as much as you're starting to like him."

With a roll of my eyes I linked my arm with hers and we headed out of the school. "Isn't that how it always is when it comes to guys like him? They show you a little bit of interest and then girls will take it and run with it?"

"You aren't like those other girls Spence. You have a brain!" Essence said.

I looked over at her as we stopped in front of my car and gave her my best puppy dog face.

"NO!" she said catching on.

"What? Come on Essence you HAVE to!" I said.

"Just because you told him you were going doesn't mean I have to go."

"Would you really have your best friend going all by herself?" I hated to pull the guilt card but I could not go to the biggest party of the year without her.