8. Manipulation

Spencer’s POV

“Hey,” I said to Essence as I stood at her locker.

This was my first time seeing her all day since our Skype call last night. I hated not having class with her.

She gave me an amused smile. “That date must have been life changing. You look beyond happy.”

“Happy is an understatement. I can’t begin to describe how Jace is making me feel,” I told her.

“Well I am so glad to hear that.”

“I have to tell you something weird that happened yesterday,” I said.

Essence stopped loading her belongings into her locker and looked over at me. “What’s up?”

“After lunch yesterday that blonde girl from Jace’s lunch table was leaning against my locker and she was just watching me. It was really odd,” I said.

“You mean Claire? Jace’s ex-girlfriend?”

Jace’s ex-girlfriend. 

“I didn’t know that’s what she was to him,” I said.

Claire was very pretty. How could I ever compare?

“Yeah, they dated all last year and she cheated on him over the summer,” Essence explained. “Don’t worry about it. I’m pretty sure he’s over her. She’s just jealous.”

“Jealous? Jealous of what?” I asked.

“Of you! A pretty girl who has Jace’s attention. Attention. That's what she wants.”

“She doesn’t have to be jealous of me. She’s beautiful,” I said losing the little bit of confidence that I had.

“Stop saying that about yourself Spence. You are gorgeous and Claire is jealous, now let’s get some lunch - I’m starving,” Essence said linking arms with me and leading the way to the cafeteria.

We stood in the line grabbing a couple of trays. I loaded my tray with an apple, a bottle of water, and a slice of pizza. Lunch was never very appetizing.

Handing the lunch lady my money, Essence and I sat at our regular table.

“Have you applied to all of your colleges yet?” I asked.

She sighed. “I have to apply to Brown but I’m scared. What if I don’t get accepted?”

“You have to apply and see. You’re super smart. They would be crazy not to accept you,” I said reassuringly.

“You’re just saying that because you’re my best friend,” she said raising one of her eyebrows

I will never understand the concept of how people accomplish this.

I laughed. “I’m saying it because it’s true.”

“Did you apply to that school in Maryland?” she asked.

“Not yet,” I said biting into my apple.

Three trays dropped down onto our table and before we knew it Jace, Peter and Taylor had joined us. Whoa. This was new.

“Hope you don’t mind us sitting here,” Jace said smiling down at me.

“They better not. It’s a free country,” Peter said.

“As long as Peter doesn’t pet my head, you guys are good to go,” Essence joked. I giggled as Peter looked confused. 

“He tends to do that a lot,” Taylor said rolling his eyes.