14. Unexplained and Deranged

Today was Friday and that meant it was Christmas break. We had two weeks off of school and I was actually pretty relieved. This week had been pretty boring since Jace had to go out of town for some family emergency. I hadn't seen him all this week and it was bothering me. I was shocking myself because I didn't expect to care this much. The other thing that was bothering me was the fact that he still hadn't told me what he had been putting off since that scary night in town. It was killing me and I really wanted to know.

"Why do we even bother to eat this crap? Four dollars for this is a rip off" Essence said throwing her burger down onto the tray. "I rather eat dog food".

"It could come true so don't say that out loud" I joked.

"Guess what?" she said with wide eyes completely changing the subject.

"What's up?"

So last night I woke up really late at night and I just happened to look out of my window and you won't believe what the hell I saw?"

"A cat" I said not really interested.

"No Spence, I saw a freaking wolf!" she said.

That caught my attention. "You saw a what?"

"A wolf! A big huge brown wolf with these orangish eyes looking up at me! Can you believe it? I almost shit my pants but I thought it was a dream so I calmly got back into my bed and fell asleep. I couldn't shake the feeling that I was being watched though. It was really weird but I wasn't even that scared. Most people would pass out at the sight of a wolf right?"

"That's odd because I get the feeling of being watched too. Usually I would be totally freaked out but it made me feel safe".

Essence froze as she looked at me, head cocked to the side. "You've had the feeling like you're being watched?" she asked.

"Yeah, for a little while now" I admitted.

"And it gave you a safe feeling?" she asked.

"Yeah?" I questioned.

What was she getting at?

"Oh" was all she said.

... But I knew my best friend.

"What's wrong Ess? Is there something you have to tell me?" I asked.

She looked around before leaning in closer to me. "I get the same exact feeling and it didn't start until Peter asked me out. I mean I'm not saying it's him but it's just weird.

It was my turn to freeze. "I didn't get the feeling until Jace asked me out either" I said putting the two together.

"Oh my god, do you think they could be watching us?" She asked putting her hands over her mouth.

"You said it was a wolf looking at you. Maybe that's what it is. They can't be watching us. Especially late like that. We have school in the morning" I said pushing the thought out of my head and sipping my cranberry juice.

Essence smiled at me. "Only you would make that an excuse" she joked.

"I just don' think they would do some creepy stuff like that" I said.

"So what do you think I should do about that wolf that I saw? Should I tell someone?" Essence asked.

To be honest, I had no idea what she should do. I wouldn't even know what to do in a situation like that. "I don't know Ess. I guess don't worry about it. They probably come out at night so just stay in" I said.

She rolled her eyes and changed the subject once again. "So are you missing Jace yet?"

I could feel my face heating up and knew that she had caught me blushing. "Yeah, I'm not gonna lie to you. It's weird actually. I haven't felt like this towards a boy since you know who so it's kinda freaking me out".