2. Sudden Attraction

"Are you serious?" Essence asked me at the lunch table the next day.

I had just filled her in on the events of yesterday afternoon.

"I was so shocked to see all of them there. It had to be over twenty hot shirtless guys there as if it weren't cold outside," I said taking a sip of my apple juice.

"Maybe they were so worked up from football that it was hot to them," she said.

"Taylor looked pretty hot," I said wagging my eyebrows up and down at her.

"I'm sure Jace and Peter did too. What's your point?" she said.

She was such a smartass. She knew exactly what my point was. "He tried to get me to change my mind about the party tonight. He was actually making me feel really bad about not going."

"That's because you're sensitive and super nice. You have a hard time saying no."

"No way! See that was simple."

She stuck her tongue out at me before she continued to eat her food.

"PARTY TONIGHT! COME OR YOU WILL MISS THE BIGGEST PARTY OF THE YEAR!" Peter said as him, Taylor and a bunch of other guys begin setting invitations down on all the lunch tables... including ours.

"Peter it's only two of us sitting here. No need to give us ten invitations." Essence picks up the pile holding them out to him.

He looked from the invitations to her, back to the invitations, and back to her again. "Just keep them. In case you lose one or something. It doesn't hurt to keep some backups. There's five for you and five for your friend."

"Well how about this five plus the other sixty I got yesterday?" Essence said sarcastically.

I covered my mouth to hide the giggle that wanted to escape.

Peter smiled down at her before petting her head. "I like you," he said before walking off and handing out the rest of his invitations.

"Did he just pet me?" Essence asked as she fixed the top of her brunette hair.

My giggle finally escaped. "Peter is such an ass. I've had classes with him since the ninth grade and he says 'your friend,'" I joked.

Though I was joking there was some seriousness to my statement.

"Don't take it personal. I don't think he knows my name either."

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU! HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU! HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR JACE! HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!" the entire cafeteria sang in unison as Jace Spear made his way into the cafeteria with a huge grin on his sexy face.

"Dude you're finally eighteen," Peter said ruffing up Jace's hair.

I found myself staring at him as he made his way to his usual table and all of his friends tackled him.

"I wish you did that for my birthday," Essence joked.

"I totally got you next year," I said.

The bell rang signaling the end of lunch.

Leaving the lunchroom was a hassle because of how crowded it was. Jace's birthday was pretty much a big deal every year so I don't know why I was so shocked.

Jace turning eighteen was very important to all of his friends. This was more chaotic than normal.

I wonder why?

As I begin my walk to fourth period I felt my whole body hit what felt like bricks and then my ass hit the hard tile floor of Dalley High School.

"Ouch," I said as I squeezed my eyes closed as the pain pierced through me.

"Oh shit. I'm sorry," said a familiar masculine voice.

My eyes flew open and met a pair of grey ones.

Jace Spear.

"It's cool," I said.

We still sat on the floor as he continued to stare at me with a look so intense.

I wanted to look away so badly but my eyes wouldn't allow it. He had me trapped with his gaze and it was beginning to scare me.

"Jace?" I whispered.

He didn't move. He sat there staring at me like he was seeing me for the first time.

Seeing Peter strut down the hall made me look away from Jace.

"What the hell. Why are you two on the floor?" he said looking confused.

I stood up and brushed myself off. "We kind of bumped into each other."

I looked at Peter whose eyes grew wide and he dropped his books. "Oh fuck! Dude," Peter said with a hint of excitement.

Looking down at Jace he was still looking up at me with that same intense gaze.

He was beginning to creep me out.

"JACE!" Peter yelled.

This seemed to get him to come back out of his daze.

"Spencer. I'm sorry," Jace said getting up from the floor, his eyes never leaving mine.

He knew my name?

"Um- it's cool."

"Are you coming to my party tonight?" Jace asked.

Why was he acting like we weren't already late for class?

"No I didn't plan on it," I said truthfully.

"What? That's the craziest shit I've ever heard!" Peter said pulling an invitation from his back pocket thrusting it my way.

"No I have plenty," I said trying not to laugh.

"I think you should come. Matter of fact I want you to come," Jace said pulling out his cell phone. "What's your phone number?"

My face began to heat up. "My number?"

"Yeah. If I have to personally bring you there myself I will," he said.

I searched his eyes to see if he was joking but he looked very serious.

_________________________

JACE'S POV

She was beautiful. I knew that once my eyes met hers she was the one.

This girl was my mate.

Spencer was beyond perfection.

Of course I never noticed it before.

She has always been pretty to me but staring at her like this showed me that beautiful was not a strong enough word.

My dad explained to me that once I turned eighteen I should expect to find my mate but I didn't think he meant the exact day.

Her eyes. Those electrifying green eyes of hers had me wanting to rip her clothes off in the middle of this hallway.

There were so many things I wanted to do. Kiss her, hold her, run my fingers through her long black hair.

I wanted to do it all.

"What the hell. Why are you two on the floor?" I heard Peter's voice but I just couldn't look away from her.

My eyes would not allow me to.

As she begins to speak her angelic voice rang through my ears.

My mate was really beautiful.

"Oh fuck! Dude," Peter said as he began to realize what was happening here.

Spencer Droid was my mate.

"JACE!" Peter yelled finally pulling me from the gaze I had on her.

I stood up from the floor never taking my eyes off of her. "Spencer. I'm sorry," was all I could manage to say.

"Um- it's cool," she said not looking at me though I wish she would.

"Are you coming to my party tonight?" I asked hoping her answer would be yes. After realizing who she was I needed her there.

"No I didn't plan on it," she said making my heart drop.

"What? That's the craziest thing I've ever heard!" Peter said handing her an invitation that he pulled from his back pocket. He had about a million of those things made.

"No I have plenty," she said with a smile that was making my inner wolf go wild.

"I think you should come. Matter of fact I want you to come," I said whipping out my cell phone. "What's your phone number?"

"My number?" she said turning red.

"Yeah. If I have to personally bring you there myself I will," I said serious as a heart attack.

She grabbed for my cell and put in her number. Her soft hands gently brushed mine and I knew she felt it when she let out a gasp.

The shock.

It was like an electric current running though our bodies.

She looked up at me as if searching for answers. After putting her number in my phone she handed me my phone back picking her bag up from the floor.

"See you guys later," she said before kicking it the opposite way.

"Dude you just found your mate," Peter said.

"That was crazy. The stories my dad told us about those feelings we would get is no joke," I said leaning my back up against the nearest locker.

"How'd it feel?" he asked.

"I miss her already Peter. I'm ready to follow her to her next class. I want to be near her right now," I explained. "She's human."

"My birthday is next. I wonder who the hell my mate will be," Peter said as his face scrunched up. "Spencer is pretty hot."

I felt my hand smash against the locker as a low growl escaped from my lips.

"Whoa. I take it back," Peter said hiding a smile.

So this is how your mate makes you feel. "Watch what you say Pete. I'm next alpha and I've been trained to kick ass," I said putting him into a headlock.

We began to wrestle in the middle of the hallway.

"I'm beta bro. We learned the same skills," he said as he switched the position so that I was now in the headlock.

Our laughs must have been pretty loud because the vice principle, Mr. Evans, turned the corner with a look of anger on his face. "I hope you boys were heading to class."

We quickly grabbed our things hurrying off to our fourth period.

_________________________________

SPENCER'S POV

Why was I suddenly feeling like this towards Jace?

I have never felt like this about before so what changed that?

The confusion was really eating at me and I could not focus in Spanish class. How could I focus when all I could think about was Jace?

'We have a problem.'

I pressed send on my phone.

What happened????!!!!!

Essences concern had me freaking out all over again.

Jace

I waited for her replying knowing that she was sitting in home economics probably having a heart attack.

JACE?? JACE SPEAR????? WHAT ABOUT HIM!?????? =o

We pretty much had a moment in the hallway and I'm freaking out. He insists that I come to his party or he will come and get me himself. What should I do?

I knew she would make me tell her the whole story after school but my summary was pretty good since my hands wouldn't stop shaking.

Teacher on my case!!!! Meet me in the second floor bathrooms after the bell! I need to know EVERYTHING!

Kay

"Senorita Droid anything interesting you would like to share with the class?"

"Umm no ma'am."

"Please put your phone away," she said.

"Sorry," I said with a sheepish smile.

She gave me a forgiving smile before going back to teaching.

Once the bell rang signaling the end of class I rushed to the bathroom anxious to meet Essence.

"Tell me EVERYTHING!" she said jumping up and down like a child.

"Calm down Ess," I said giggling. "It wasn't anything big. It was just very confusing," I said scrunching my eyebrows.

"Well tell me. I can't take this anymore," she said.

"Okay well it happened right after we left the lunch room. I was walking down the hallway towards Spanish class and who do I end bumping into. JACE! Of course it's an accident but the way he's looking at me it was so intense. He was looking at me as if he's never seen me before Ess. It was creepy but it was something about it that made me not want to look away. For the love of me I could not turn away from him. Jace has always been attractive to me but now he's even more attractive then he was before. What the hell is happening to me?" I said covering my face with my hands.

"It's nothing wrong with you Spencer; you just caught the love bug that every girl catches when it comes to Jace, Peter, and Taylor. They have a spell that they don't even know about."

I hope that's what it was.

"Look don't stress over it. Jace is hot stuff and it's okay if you think so just like every other girl. It's normal."

I rolled my eyes at the motherly tone Essence was using on me. "Come on we have class," I said grabbing her arm and heading into the crowded hallway.

"So does this mean you have a crush on Jace now?" she asked.

"What? Of course not," I said not really knowing how I felt.

"So what is it then?" she asked me.

"I don't like him I just had a weird moment with him in the hallway is all," I said

"Okay well when you're ready to tell your best friend the truth she'll be here to listen," Essence said with a smirk before turning down the hallway and heading towards her next class.

She could be a real pain sometimes.

Sixth period was the period that I had been dreading since the encounter with Jace in the hallway. I don't know what had all of a sudden gotten into me but I was making sure that my appearance was a ten every chance that I had.

Checking my face in the screen of my phone or running a hand through my hair making sure it was still in place. These things never seem to have mattered before so why did I all of sudden care what people like Jace would think?

Why was the gaze he had on me earlier affecting me so bad?

Was Essence right and I did have a crush on him?

Making my way from the third floor to the second I knew that I would be late. I just HAD to run to the bathroom and check my appearance all because of Jace.

"Damn!" I mumbled once the late bell rang. I knew Mrs. Parnell would not have a huge problem with me being late but I knew everyone's eyes would be on me as soon as I entered the room.

I hated attention.

Making it to the second floor I scurried down the hall like a chicken with her head cut off and stopped once I reached the closed door.

Walking inside I got just what I expected. Everyone had their eyes on me as I walked in and headed to my usual seat in the middle.

"Sorry Mrs. Parnell," I said.

She gave me a stern look before turning back to the blackboard and writing.

As the attention was no longer on me I still felt a pair of eyes burning a hole into my back. I knew exactly whose eyes they were.

I chose to ignore it.

And him.

That was the only way I would be able to put him out of my mind and not feel this way about him.

Sure I could ignore him. It wouldn't be that hard.

Right?

***Essence on the side***