5. The Simple Things

Waking up for the tenth time, the sun was shining in my face and Essence had her finger in my nose.

What are best friends for?

Removing her arm, I sat up running a hand through my hair that was now all over my head.

"Ugh," I groaned.

Looking over at my bedside clock it was almost one in the afternoon.

Why the heck did we sleep this long?

Everything from last night came rushing back to me.

Jace telling me he likes me, pouring soda on his head, Peter ending the party early, and that safe feeling I had before falling asleep.

I smiled as I wrapped my arms around myself.

"Did you have a hot dream about Jace or something?" Essence asked softly as she sat up next to me.

Looking over at her, her smile matched mine. "No I didn't have a dream. I was just thinking."

"About him?"

"Yeah," I admitted. "I don't get how he has me feeling like this and I want nothing more than to just stay away from him. It's not fair."

"Life isn't fair Spence. You use to tell me that all the time."

"Can't I just hide from him?"

"No you can't hide from him. We all go to school together and you have a class with him. How do you plan on doing that?" Essence asked.

She was right and I knew I had no way of staying away from him. From the looks of it, that would be impossible.

"I thought maybe if I ignored him then he would get the hint."

"Look Spence. I'm your best friend and I'm always going to be on your side but I am also going to tell you what I know. Jace likes you and I think he's serious. Don't be so quick to throw it under the bus."

"I keep thinking about what Justin said to me. I keep thinking about how he broke my heart," I whispered.

Essence's face softened and she took my hand in hers. "I know that he hurt you and he hurt you bad but I also know that everyone isn't like that. You deserve someone who can show you that you deserve so much and if you push Jace away who's to say you won't do it to the next guy?" Essence asked.

"I just need to think about it. I know he told me he likes me but then what? What does he expect me to do?"

"Well do you like him?"

"I don't know him enough to like him but I do find him very attractive. I mean who wouldn't?"

"Well maybe you should get to know him. He seems really into you," Essence said wagging her eyebrows up and down.

"You are so crazy but you are so right most of the time," I told her.

"So what are you going to do?" she asked me.

"I still don't know Essence. I can't avoid him and I don't think he plans on leaving me alone so... I have to be a big girl and deal with this situation."

Essence smiled. "Good. Now let's go make some breakfast," she said hopping up and making her way downstairs. Following behind, I stopped in the hallway as I heard my dad snoring.

Guess those lovebirds finally made it home.

"Pancakes or waffles?" Essence asked pulling out the mix from the pantry.

"Definitely waffles" I said grabbing a carton of eggs and bacon from the fridge.

As the food began to cook and the kitchen became a mess, my mom came downstairs with a huge smile on her face.