Chapter 8

Vergil Pov

It's been three days since those Order Knights and Heroine attacked me. Three days of the townsfolk to calm down, yet everyone still either avoids me like a plague, or gives me something like their family heirloom or other valuable items. Of course, I declined them.

But nothing was worse than being targeted by the young Mamono who think they could try and seduce me. Sadly for them, they can't do anything but futile and wasted effort.

With my stay on this port town called Zagad, shortened by said Order and overachieving Mamono. I've decided that today shall be the day I leave. Not once I was able to truly sleep as I sensed nocturnal Mamono trying to enter my room, which thankfully were driven away by the kind Mothman Innkeeper.

I gave her and her husband my goodbye, along with a pouch containing at least a thousand gold for their kind and helpful activity. Which was keeping those Mamono away.

Can't wait to get jumped on when I enter the forest.

However, as I passed by a random stall. I couldn't help but notice a particular instrument. From his choice of clothes, he came from Zipangu, which I assumed to be this world's version of Japan.

But how exactly did he get his hands on such a majestically crafted instrument. It's ebony wood body complimented by a impressive blend of blue that somewhat looks like smoke rising from a flame, and to add more elegance to it's body, golden etchings with the words "Midnight Blue"

I approached the man, and he seems to be surprised at seeing me approach. Right, I forgot I pull up the hood of my cloak.

Vergil: Greetings merchant.

Merchant: Ah, g-goodmorning as well dear customer. H-Have you seen something you fancy in my wares?

His stuttering is rather unprofessional, but considering what I've just demonstrated three days ago. I couldn't blame him.

Vergil: It seems my eyes has found something rather beautiful, can I perhaps try it and see if it's craftsmanship is equal to its beauty?

The man smiled happily.

Merchant: Please, do give it a try! Not many are quite skilled in such except for those who are in Dragonia or those Mamono who are adept at music at birth.

Vergil: I see, I shall hear it's quality through playing one of the songs I grew up with.

I picked up the Violin, held it properly, and played.

Moments has passed and I finished the song. As I opened my eyes, I was surprised to see the amount of spectators gathered around me to listen to the song. Many of them shed tears while others clung on to their partners, as if afraid to lose them.

The merchant snapped out his his teary eyed trance and looked at me with pity in his eyes.

Merchant: My boy... Just how much have you been through.

The question itself took me back, back to the time where I lost everything. I kept a straight face at the sudden reflection, but nonetheless. Gave the old merchant a smile. One that seems to be filled with pain and acceptance.

Vergil: Far too much. But nonetheless, I have come into terms with it and within it. The mistakes that I have made may still haunt me to this day, yet I have already accepted that they will forever stay. A grim reminder of my foolishness in the past, and a reminder that I have regained it.

The Merchant's eyes steeled and he took a deep breath.

Merchant: My boy... Take it, it's yours now. Your talent is payment enough, continue playing and move the world with your music.