Chapter 31

Vergil Pov

Vergil: Meera, down.

I had to put more force to my command, as Meera yet again, tried to hump me on public. I know for a fact that her Heat is nearing, but to act upon it this early is something I'm still getting used to.

Meera: Sorry Master... It has been difficult to hold myself lately.

She apologized with a blush.

Vergil: Yes, I do recall you telling me about the time of the Year. But isn't this a month early?

She awkwardly twiddled her fingers, trying hard to come up with an explanation.

With a sigh, I gave her a pat on the head.

Vergil: Do try to hold it longer. Mostly because of the Demons are rather active since three days ago. In fact, there's a horde coming right now.

A few moments later, light shone through the ground as Demons of different varieties appeared. But they didn't even get a good look around before they were immediately charged by a battalion of Angels and Valkyries.

The sounds of Metal cutting flesh echoed, reminding Meera that she is currently on a battlefield.

Meera: Why are we helping them anyway? I don't see anything good coming out of this.

She huffed. Clearly annoyed by the fact that we're on Order Territory and the fact that the Order Soldiers and Heroes are giving us a wide birth.

Vergil: Merely keeping my part of the contract, Meera. That and to help them regain the land they lost to the Demons.

A mere glare was enough to keep them from acting out. If Dante was here, he'd be calling them a bunch of idiots. While I, will be calling them sheep. The words of "The Goddess" coming from those preachers are nothing but pure bull, even the Angels and Valkyries are cringing.

Meera: I don't like it here.

I nodded. The fact that their Preaching is downright Racism is truly grating on my nerves, annoying too. But alas, it's better to endure than slaying them all as I'm trying to see why Dante loves to protect them. Though there are some who are... More tolerable.

Gilbert: Apologies, Lady Meera. Our Priests can be... Devoted to our cause.

This young man had the courage to approach us. Tried to make idle chat, and succeeded somewhat. So I guess, not all Order fanatics are that bad.

Vergil: Then what about you? Clearly you are not as devoted as they are.

He smiled sheepishly.

Gilbert: Circumstances made me the way I am now. As apparently, I have great aptitude in healing magic.

His staff with a cross at the tip and the gemstone at the middle glowed, magical energy gathering around him as he threw his hand forward, to heal an injured Tower Shielder.

Gilbert: I came from a Mamono tolerant village. Though I guess Kobolds and the occasional Danuki merchants is as generic as it can get to the "Tolerant" Order Villages.

Hm, it is true that Kobolds are barely accepted by the Order as non-threatening Mamono. And the Danuki merchants are allowed because they are merchants first and foremost. Siel gave me a thorough explanation, why her species is accepted in Order Territory.

Vergil: I see. Glad to know not all Order sheeps are as blind and Racist as your Priests are.

Gilbert let out an awkward chuckle.

Seeing another horde appear, I tricked into the Frontline and culled their numbers and cleared a wide area.

After clearing the area for the Order to regain their footing, I return to Meera's side before a dreadful cold washes over me. I then Trick to a cliff overlooking the battlefield to survey the spawning demons, before hearing the sound of massive hooves trampling the ground from the demon's side. I hastily look to where the sound is emmanating, and my eyes immediately widen.