Birthday Candles

Inspired by a true story :,)
Kiiboy is human
Also post-game AU

Kokichi's POV:

     My birthday's tomorrow, and Shuichi hasn't said anything about it... Did he forget? I think he might've forgotten. I stare down at my phone, checking the time. It's almost midnight, and Shuichi's already asleep. I guess that's to be expected though; he works a lot. I feel a little bit bad because I'm pretty sure I over work him sometimes. I'm a handful, and I know it.

The clock strikes midnight, and I smile slightly before setting my phone down and sinking under the covers again. I roll over and put my head on Shuichi's chest. While asleep, he wraps his arms around me.

"Happy birthday, me."

The following morning, I wake up without Shuichi? It's Saturday though. He's supposed to be off work. Yawning, I sit up and stretch my small limbs before standing up. I walk to the bathroom, and do my morning routine.

"He didn't forget..." I repeat, looking in the mirror. Shuichi could never forget my birthday. I refuse to believe that! I sigh, still not convinced. I leave the bathroom and get dressed into a black t-shirt and a checkered ronper.

"Shuichi!" I call out down the hallway. No answer. I dash to the kitchen to find a single note next to the coffee machine.

Sorry, Kichi, I got called into the office today, but I should be home later! Love you! -Your Beloved

I sigh, setting the note down."Damn you, Shumai." I walk over to the fridge and grab some panta. "Happy birthday me, I guess..." I twist the cap off and take a sip of the cold, sugary liquid. I feel myself perk up just after one sip. It's about ten o'clock, around the normal time.

I cannot believe I woke up alone on my birthday, and go figure it's the first brithday Shuichi and I are together for. We just started dating in October of last year. I was hoping for Shuichi to surprise me today with a big breakfast, and he'd shower me in love. I frown at the thought. I hope he's not home too late...

To be honest, since the game, I've hated being alone. Ever since Shuichi said those words to me, I've hated being on my own. When Shuichi has work, I usually call Rantaro. I would today, but Rantaro's still in London. He should be coming back tonight, but I'm still not sure.

I take my panta to the living room, and slump down on the couch, turning the TV on. I pull my knees to my chest and watch the new Cruela movie. I absolutely love her fashion designs! The dresses are so incredible!

A few hours go by, and the movie's long over by now. I just lay lazily on the couch, waiting for Shuichi. This is the worst birthday ever, and I've had some pretty bad birthdays. Nobody has told me happy birthday yet, but it's half past one. I start to feel an overwhelming sadness, thinking about how my birthday's have been.

I got my hopes up that I would finally spend my birthday with someone after years of spending it alone. A few tears roll down my cheeks, but I quickly wipe them away. I'm gonna have a long talk with Shuichi when he gets home...

"Kokichi! Are you home?!" Kiibo's voice comes from the front door hallway. I forgot Shuichi gave him a key. I perk up, secretly wanting some company.

"No robo obsessed people allowed!" I exclaim, looking in Kiibo's direction. He comes in the living room, sitting on the sofa across from me.

"That's so-! Wait, are you alright?" Kiibo asks, looking over at me.

"Yeah? I'm fine, why?" I ask, a confused look present on my face. Kiibo nods, skeptically. "Just making sure, you look like you were upset there for a minute."