Chapter 3

The sun had almost set when the two siblings followed Rafe out of his house. The sky had a golden shade of colours and the variety of clouds' shapes made the sky looking like a renaissance painting. The waters were shining in the sunlight and there was nothing that could ruin this peaceful moment. Apart from the truth

"Thanks rose for the meal it was absolutely delicious" James complimented his aunt and turned to catch up with his sister and his cousin.

"So Rafe... I was really patient this whole time so I think now you owe me an explanation. What happened to Sarah?" Rafe looked at his younger cousin. Her eyes were full of worry and he was sure that this worry would turn to sadness the moment he would tell her what had happened.

James looked at Rafe and waved him to start talking. They did not know how much their mood would change after the story.

"Alright. One year ago Sarah started hanging out with some guys. The Pogues." In that word he rolled his eyes and fury covered his eyes. "I don't know what was the deal but what I know is that Sarah changed a lot. She used to go out and never return and her behaviour towards the ones who loved her changed. She almost accused dad for..." He paused as soon as he realised what he was about to say "Never mind. The thing is that there was a storm one day and at that day Sarah decided to run away with a pogue named John B. They never returned... I don't know what happened to Sarah but I know that this boy was accused for murdering someone. I don't make the rules but even if they survived the storm her days are almost done next to him..."

The two siblings looked at their cousin shocked. Then there was silence.

They walked down the street till they reached their house. It was exactly like they remembered it. The castle of their dreams. It was painted in a light blue shade with golden details. The marble sculpture on the front of the house looked like the ancient Greek ones and on the whole it looked like a princess was about to exit the front door.

The sun had sett giving its place to the moon. The warm day had passed and a light night was just beginning. A light breeze passed through them making them shiver a little.

"Pal, what time's the party?" James asked trying to break the ice spreading between the cousins.

"Be ready at 10:00 and come to the beach. I'll be waiting there" and with those words he left them standing on their house's threshold.

The two siblings exchanged a curious look before they pick up their luggages and unlock the door.

~~

JJ stormed into John B's house like he was being hunted from some kind of monster or something. The house was the still the place where the pogues' meetings were held but some things had changed. For example anything that had to do with John B was burned, apart from a photograph of all of them two summers back.

"The last time I checked there were no ghosts in outer banks JJ." Pope said "Why were you running?"

"Pope, Pope, Pope... always so funny..." JJ replied sarcastically and took the seat next to hiss friend "Look I've been thinking, yeah I can think" he added immediately as he saw Pope's face "that maybe John B's and Sarah's future is in our hands. Where is Kie I need to talk to both of you" he stood up in search for Kiara when Pope's voice stopped him.

"She's getting ready you know... I hope it doesn't take long" and then he looked at his full of excitement friend's face and added "But I don't think that is a good idea... You shouldn't remind it to her. She didn't just lose John B like we did. She lost Sarah too, and you know that she blames herself for not having forgiven Sarah earlier."

JJ looked at Pope. "Look I may not know Sarah that much but John B was and as long he is alive he's going to be my family just like you and Kie and....well, and now Sarah." He gave him a pleading look "Come on dude just let me tell you my idea"

"Which idea exactly JJ" Kiara said as she was exiting the room where she was getting ready.

"Nothing Kie he was just telling me about the party" Pope said as fast as he could. He really loved Kie for seeing her getting hurt by the reminding. He looked at JJ "Yeah here's what I was thinking. What about showing up dressed up. You know, for cover. I don't want to get into troubles. I'm too mature for it" JJ immediately followed Pope's advise and let the topic slide earning laughter from both of his friends.

"JJ you're so matured that even if someone punch you in the face you're going to smile at them in return and just walk away" Kiara said between her giggles. JJ smiled at her and the lowered his face hiding his disappointment.

"So are you ready or not? We have a party to crush! And by that I mean by behaving like the serious citizens we are..." JJ said as soon as he found his confidence again

Two minutes later they were on their way walking down the street to the beach