Chapter 15

The Pogues were sitting on John B's balcony. The sun had begun to set. A light breeze was passing through them playing with Kiara's hair. JJ was smoking, leaning on the wooden fence. Pope was sitting on a chair resting his head on his hands which he had put behind it. Kiara was moving her head along with the music she was listening from her headphones.

The sky had taken a slightly purple shade and the moon had started making its appearance. The scenery was peaceful. You could hear the breeze passing through the trees' leaves. The music caused from this encounter was one of the most calming sounds for the Pogues along with the waves crushing on the shore.

After some minutes Kiara decided to close the music and unplug the headphones from her phone. She looked at the boys and licked her lips "Boys..." She said trying to get her friends' attention. The two boys turned their heads to see her "Today Ward was seen entering his house with two cops."

That's all they needed to hear. Their faces lightened up. Finally! He would pay for what he had done.

"Well if this is not a reason to celebrate I don't know what is." JJ said with a smile spreading all over his face. "I'll bring the Champaign!" And he turned to enter the house jokingly.

Kie rolled her eyes and looked at Pope who was smiling at that news. But he was thinking something and anyone could tell. We are talking about Pope he would definitely think of something. "Wait, doesn't that mean that we're going to give them a statement too?"

"Depends on what they're accusing him of." Kiara said and then continued "If they're accusing him of John B's father's murder we can't help."

"Well technically he doesn't have done anything else... Sheriff Peterkin was shot from Rafe" JJ added

Pope lifted his hands on the air "Okay go on try to prove me wrong"

"Oh come on Pope we're just being realistic"

"Just admit that you were wrong for once!"

Their voices mixed and that continued for a couple of seconds causing them not to hear anything. They heard kie's first two words then JJ's then Pope's. It was all mixed up.

"Okay stop! But I warned you" Pope said and then looked at JJ. Kiara realized what he had thought of.

"No no no, you're not going to do that" Kie said laughing.

JJ gave both of them a suspicious look.
"Uhm...what?". Kiara and Pope started laughing. "Can I have the pleasure to learn what are you laughing about?"

"Well we all know someone who could help us." Pope said

"No way man." JJ let out a cloud of smoke and continued "She's a kook. And also related to Ward. There's no way."

Kiara decided to object "We used to say the same thing about Sarah. And let's not forget that Sophie has already help you."

"Let go of him NOW!"

"You're gonna kill him stop!!"

"Someone has already paid"

"Well Topper eventually helped John B too, why don't we ask him to help us?" JJ said sarcastically. Trying to stop the voices on his head. The last thing he wanted was spending time with a kook. No, actually spending time with her. He wouldn't control himself.

Pope looked at his friend "Dude, don't make it a big deal. You love hanging out with girls. Just try to get her on our side..."

"Exactly JJ, also she doesn't seem to have any friends here. It would be good for her too."

JJ threw down his cigarette and stepped on it. "She really loves her family I don't think that she's going to help either way."

Pope decided to stand up for himself "Look bro, exactly four days ago you were telling us that we should do something in order to help John B and Sarah. And now that we have that chance you're pushing it away. Why?"

"Fine! But she doesn't like us man. Here it goes I said it." JJ walked down the stairs going to the "yard" of the house.

"And how do you know that?" Kie shouted at him before disappearing in the dark. She got no answer.

~~

Sophie was alone on Cameron's yard. Wheezie has left a while ago in order to make a live on Instagram. Rafe was probably with these idiots. And James, well she hadn't seen him since last night. But she was betting that she was with a girl or something. Classic James.

The police officers hadn't left yet something that made her feel really uncomfortable and curious. She tried to calm herself down telling herself that Ward was one of the most beloved people of the island. But she immediately remembered that old woman's words

"If it wasn't for her father..."

She knew something that Sophie didn't. Something had probably happened but she had no idea what it was about.

When she was about to leave Rafe walked into the yard. He was alone. No Topper, no Kelce. Sophie thanked the God for that. She shook her hand inviting Rafe to go sit with her.

"So, how's your life on outer banks going?" Asked Rafe as he was sitting in the chair next to her.

"For the last three hours really boring to be honest..." Rafe shook his head in an understanding way. "You came here hoping for something extraordinary and here you are. Sitting here playing Monopoly with Wheezie." He picked up the hat with which she was playing.

"Rafe, why is the police here?"

He immediately let down the hat. And turned to face his cousin. "How long are they here?" He said trying to calm himself down but the tone on his voice was proving him otherwise.

"Almost two hours now. Wheezie said and i quote Oh don't worry, they're coming here a lot. You'll get used to that."

Rafe answered with indifference "It's for Sarah don't worry. They're coming here every second day just to let ward know what is going on" the girl looked at her cousin sceptically. If it was just that why was he so upset when he first heard about it? "Look I have to go. Topper and Kelce are waiting."

"What? But you just came!"

"Yes but I'm a busy and popular guy. Oh also Kelce is asking when you'll be able to join us again." He winked with a look full of meaning. She rolled her eyes.

"I'm definitely not coming with you now! But would you mind escorting me to my palace?"

"Of course my princess" he said and bowing at her.

Princess, "kook princess", she tried to get this frase out of her mind. Such a beautiful word but JJ had destroyed it. He used it as an insult and she didn't even know why. She hadn't said anything to offend him. She had just said that he had friends. Well maybe he had taken it as an insult.

"Are you okay?" Rafe asked her as they were about to enter the forest. The girl smiled at him and gave him a reassuring look. "Would you mind leaving you here? The boys are waiting." He tapped her on the shoulder and walked away before getting an answer from her.