Chapter 25

"Where were you? We were supposed to meet in here at 6:00pm" Kiara said as soon as she and Pope spotted JJ running towards them.

"Sorry guys my biological clock broke out."

"What?" Pope and Kie replied with one voice butt then they moved on "Now time for a short recap. Kie?" Pope took the podium

"I'm going to distract the officers." She replied normal. If someone was watching the scene for the first time he would think that these kind of things were pretty usual for her. Like waking up and putting her clothes on.

"Correct, and then?" Pope said quickly like they were being chased by someone.

"And then I'm going to exit and wait for your sign. Then I'll go back in and start screaming about something. I'll figure that out later."

"Nice, JJ?"

"We're sneaking in! And go straight to the office were they keep the record of each case. The cops are going to be on Ward so nothing to worry about."

"And if something goes wrong and one of them is left behind?" Pope said trying to prevent any crazy thing from happening.

"Favourite part! I pull out my gun..." But he never finished his sentence as Pope and Kie interrupted him synchronized.

"THERE'S ABSOLUTELY NO WAY YOU'RE DOING THAT" they yelled from surprise

"I... I wasn't finished..." JJ said completely done by their reaction "but since you don't want to hear my idea okay. Your loss..." They tried to tell him to continue but he preferred to let them wondering "No, no,no... Too late now"

Suddenly they heard a car running near them. "Oh shit, run run run!!" Kiara whispered and in a fraction of a second they had disappeared behind some trees.

The car was a a police's one probably on it's way to Ward's house. The Pogues had noticed that this was one of cops' usual visits. They were happening regular around this time and they were lasting for a couple of hours.

After the police car was nowhere to be seen they got out of where they were hidden and started walking towards the police station. Kie ventured into leaving the door wide open for the boys to enter after a couple of seconds.

"Hello sir" Kiara said smiling to the man sitting behind a bench. He smiled to her in return and nodded her to continue. "Well you know, my father. He has a restaurant and for the last couple of days there is someone who's coming and steals fish from us..."

As she was talking Pope and JJ entered the building trying to keep themselves from laughing at Kiara's words.

"...And I think it's high time you do something about it!" The officer looked at her

"Did come all the way here just to tell me this? My girl return at your home."

Kiara let out a sigh and exited, this time closing the door behind her. The man took of his glasses, sat more comfortably on his chair and closed his eyes.

The two boys had just entered the office. "We're in. Over." JJ said like he was playing on an action movie making Pope roll his eyes.

"Okay let's split up, I'm searching on that board and you on the desk." He said whispering

"JJ don't be overdramatic! We don't have to look on a great extent." Pope was the voice of reason for once more. Maybe if they were listening to him more often they wouldn't be on that position right now.

"Okay okay. Let's be professionals."

On the board hanging on the wall there were lots of photographs. The two bodys Peterkin had shown to JJ one year ago. Scooter, Big John and Sheriff Peterkin.

The boys exchanged a glance. "I thought this case was closed." Said Pope

"I think it just got reopened"

On the board there were also pieces from papers, maps, writings about the Royal Merchant, and then a picture of Ward in the middle of the board.

"Why would this case be reopened? As soon as John B's and Sarah's missing no one talked about it. Well they talked about Peterkin but that's all."

"I don't know Pope... But maybe we could find something in these desk's drawers."

They didn't have to put a lot of effort since they were unlocked. And no one could blame the cops for that since they were empty. Almost empty.

"Is this a recorder?" JJ pointed the small machine to pope. He nodded in agreement. "Nice, let's hear it out" he said trying to make it sound.

"Are you crazy?? They're going to hear us!" Pope said trying to pull the recorder away from him. Unfortunately he stepped back stumbling, causing a chair to fell down.

The next thing the two boys knew was a door opening and a two meters tall man entering the room where they were.

"I hope I'm not interrupting anything..."

"Quite the opposite sir, we were looking for a police officer. But may I ask you who are you?" JJ started talking

"I'm the new Sheriff boy. What are you doing here?" He was strict and his words were coming out sharp with a lack of emotion.

Pope had no idea what was his friend doing. But when he saw him pulling out the fun from his backpack he stared freaking out.

"I came to hand over this sir. My mother you see is, well was, doing the housekeeping on motels and she found that. It was a year ago but she told us know. She's sick you know and she talks in her sleep so... That's all I could think of doing with it." When it was coming to lying and acting JJ was the best one. And everyone knew that. He could make up crazy scenarios in his mind which would help them get wherever they wanted.

"That's why I asked you who you are sir. I couldn't just hand over a fun who can be a piece of evidence to someone who's not reliable."

The man shook his head. "You're going to put me into some troubles because now your fingertips will be on it too but let's just not worry about that. You did the right thing. But now it's time for you two to leave."

The boys did not expect something more and left the police station as soon as they could.As the were walking out a smile appeared on JJ's face.

Kiara was waiting for them where they had met before. "What happened? Did you find anything?"

"The case reopened. And everything is against Ward. The thing is that they are aiding him for things only John B knew about." Pope explained to her. " If only we could hear the tape on recorder."

JJ smiled "Well, why don't we hear it then?" And pulled out of his bag the little recorder.

"Are you serious? Why did you do it?"

"Pope, relax, you should smoke more often. It's good for the nerves. Let's hear the tape."

No one tried to convince him otherwise so he pushed the button.

"You killed my father, and you framed me for a murder I didn't commit. You took everything from me! But I'm still here. And I swear to God Ward. I will come back one day and take what's mine. So you'll listen to me. I'm coming for you."

John B's voice came out of the recorder. Along with him they were heard waves crushing on the shore and people shouting. Someone had record his last words before he had disappeared. But the tape didn't stop there.

"It's time to pay for what he did. But we won't return until he's behind bars. At the moment we're still on the g game."

The Pogues looked at eachother. He was alive! The message was for them. He was communicating with them without leaving tracks.

"HE'S ALIVE!!" JJ shouted on the top of his lungs and Pope and Kie joined him.

It was the happiest moment of their lives for this summer.