Chapter 43

The sound of the rain falling was soothing to the ears of the girl. She had dressed as well in dry clothes and now she was curled up on the couch with cards on her hand trying to think who h her next move would be.

"Soph," JJ said taking her out of her thoughts "is there any way we can do this thing without you talking to Rafe?"

"He's my cousin. I'll talk to him either it's for the case or not. And no... Unfortunately there's no other who can tell us this king of information." She stood silent for a while. "Why is that? Why do you want me not to talk to him?"

JJ looked elsewhere. "You said that this whole thing between us is just for the case. You don't want anything to do with the other two. I don't want him to convince you to stay away from me too."

She felt butterflies inside her stomach flying around and tried to hide a smile that was going to appear on her face. "But I don't want to stay away from you. Now let me think. I'm not going to lose again!"

JJ smiled but Sophie never saw his smile. She was trying to keep herself together. She had hidden her face behind her cards trying to hide her red cheeks and her eyes were constantly looking at her cards but without seeing the numbers.

"So you think that Sarah may have hidden something?"

"Well... Why not? After all Sarah was really obsessed with journals. She may have written something." JJ tried his best to swallow his laugh but he didn't managed it. "What's so funny?"

"Dear Diary, today the day was amazing." He started mocking the way young girls used to write on their diaries. "I met a really handsome boy named John B, even though I have to admit that his best friend is way more handsome."

Sophie raised her glance to him and placed he cards on the table.

"He's not smart, actually he's an idiot. Well Topper is even more." At this Sophie busted out laughing. "I'm glad to see that none of us like him."

"Actually he was the one who opened my eyes. But yes, no strong feelings for him." She continued laughing but tried to calm herself down.

"What would you write in your journal?"

"Well... Dear Diary, I came to outer Banks looking forward for an adventure. I'm not thrilled to write that I actually got myself involved with one." JJ rested his head on the back of couch and nodded the girl to continue. "The first to people I met are to idiots, the third one is kinda nice but stupid -that's you-"

"Let me interrupt you. I think you want to say. The third one is the most handsome boy I've ever seen. Exclamation point." He looked pretty please with myself.

"The third one is the most handsome boy I've ever seen." she mimicking him.

"Exclamation point."

"Yes sorry. I've ever seen. Exclamation point. His friends don't like me though. My brother started doing drugs, again, my cousin is in jail and my uncle is a murderer. I'll write back soon."

JJ looked at the girl. He wanted to make her feel better but that wasn't on him. "You forgot the goodnight part..." He said. To his surprise the girl smiled.

"Right. Goodnight, dear Diary."

~~

Rafe was on his cell and was lying on the bench when Sophie passed through the corridor to stop outside.

"Hello Sophie. I thought you had forgotten about me."

"I would have come earlier today but by the time I woke up it had started raining." She tried to excuse herself with a little dose of a white lie.

"You're sleeping a lot. That's good to hear. You're probably the only one of the family." He said in an ironic tone.

Sophie raised an eyebrow. "Do you actually believe that Ward has troubled sleep?"

"He should." He hissed. "He's sleeping in his bed, with his wife and his son is rotting behind the bars of a cell."

He was right. He was so right. No matter what he had done in the past he didn't deserve seeing his father turning against him. Turning against him to save himself and his image.

"You'll be released for a while. Just for the midsummers." Rafe scoffed, he wasn't grateful.

"Ward told me. But no I won't. I won't be released just to save his image. Actually I need you to do me a favour. Tell everyone in midsummers that I'm in jail. Can you?"

Sophie looked at him. His eyes filled with hope. "I can't Rafe. I want to help you but not like this. I want to set you free for good but if I say this it's going to ruin my whole cover. However I have a way to help you and me."

He frowned but stayed sceptical. After a while he nodded. "What's the plan?"

"I want you to tell me where Ward keeps the computers that are connected to the security cameras."

Rafe smirked. "You're a genius." Yes she was going to find his confession. She was going to use his own words against him. Rafe felt guilty for trying to help him back then. He felt really sorry. He shouldn't have done anything.

"I get that a lot, cousin..." She smiled.

"Remember where my mum's room is?" The girl nodded. "Remember when you were young that you used to go inside a smaller room to hide? The entrance was inside the closest. Do you remember?" Sophie shook her head. "It's there. Ward discovered it and used it for that. It was never locked and still isn't. No one had ever bothered to look there."

She wanted to hug him and tell him that she was doing to do her best. She was going to help him. Everything was going to be fine. Instead he was the one who closed her palms into his and looked at her with hope. "Please get me out of here..." Sophie nodded. She was going to.