Chapter 34

"Sophie... I need your help!"

She returned JJ's glance. "Don't worry I'll help you. Just tell me what do you want me to do!" She said reassuringly and rubbed his shoulder with her palm trying to convince him that she meant what she was saying.

"I need... I need five thousand dollars."

"For Barry?" JJ was taken by surprise. How would she know about Barry. What else did she know? And if she knew why was she still on his side?
"Look don't be so surprised... I know... Barry came to Rafe asking him to pay for... Yes you know. When he said that he hadn't had the money he talked to the police about the murder of Peterkin and they put Rafe into jail. He's still there."

"What else do you know about my dad?" JJ didn't pay attention to what she was saying. He just wanted to know what was going on. Why she was still there. Why she hadn't try to move on. If she knew that Luke was abusive, alcoholic and drug addict, what stopped him from being one too? Why she had decided to be on his side?

Sophie moved closer to him and hugged him. He hid his face on her shoulder and stayed there. "I know... I know. But don't worry I'm not leaving you!"

They stayed like that for a minute and then the girl opened her mouth to speak again. "Just do me a favour. Let me pay for this in person. I have a plan."

JJ pulled back looking at her "Fine but I'm not letting you go alone. Barry is not a good person..." After she nodded in agreement he continued "Would you mind me staying here?"

Sophie felt herself blush at his words. Of course he didn't mean anything more than spending the night here but she couldn't control it. "Sure! Just give me a sec to prepare the guest room." The girl said and walked out of the room leaning JJ lost in his thoughts.

She did like his company. I mean, if she didn't she wouldn't let him stay and he wouldn't like him, and he wouldn't want to help him. He smiled and moved onto the bed putting his head on the pillow.

As he tried to calm down and reminisce the good moment of the day some thoughts sprang to his mind. Why would Barry am him too for the money if he had already asked Rafe? Why would the police believe Barry's words to Rafe's? He was a kook, and one of the important ones. And why ward hadn't try to get him out? Why was Rafe still in jail?

He felt his eyelids getting heavier and heavier. All the tiredness of the day was slowly making its appearance. He closed his eyes. Until the guest room is ready, he thought. He fell asleep with the thought of that.

Sophie was in the guest room trying to make it look like more like the room it was supposed to be. As soon as they had got there James and she had dropped all of their things there thinking that no one would visit them enough to stay. Well they were wrong.

If only the story about her ancestor being a witch was true. She wouldn't have to get herself tired in order to tidy up. Now that she thought about it she would prefer being able to do the housekeeping without even moving her little finger.

But who would've told her that the boy she liked would ask to stay there? Who would have told her that this summer would take this rope?

In the thought of JJ she considered telling him about Midsummers. Liking him or not he was the only one she could speak to without feeling uncomfortable. Topper didn't like her and Kelce would be around her all the time if she let him. No... No... There was no way. Even if she asked him why would he wave to come? Midsummers was only for kooks. Not even tourists! And since she was a kook as they were being called she was able to go... But he wasn't one. And he wouldn't like being surrounded by them either. He didn't like them. Now with her things were different. She didn't even know why he was enjoying her company so much.

Sophie after having get the guest room ready she climbed up the stairs and walked down the hallway to get into her room. She found JJ sleeping. She smiled and switched off the lights.

The only light was coming from the outside. The moon was sending its shine to the two teens in the bedroom through the half opened window.

Sophie sat on the bed and observed for once more the boy next to her. You could say that she was becoming more and more attracted to him. He seemed calm. She lied next to him and turned her back at him trying not to seem too obsessed if he woke up.

Suddenly she felt his hand wrapping around her waist and pulling her closer. She turned to look of he was awake but the only thing she saw was a smirk on his face. She decided not to care so much about it and she tried to relax. Her eyes on the door. If her eyes were superman's ones, she would have burnt the door down. She tried to enjoy the moment as long as it was about to last.

~~

James moved closer to the cell's window and lit a match trying to make Rafe notice him. His head appeared in the window.

"Thanks man, I owe you one!" He said as soon as he was handed the cocaine.   He was depending on that to make his life better and as long as he hadn't got it he felt empty. He felt that everything around him was bad. He was miserable.

"Actually I was thinking about going to rehab again... I can't resist to them but they're not good either."

"Whatever you say big guy" Rafe replied without giving it much of a thought and sniffed one line.

"Consider coming with me too."

Rafe laughed and took another one sniff "James, I'm not getting out of here. Only for transport to a real jail. Good luck with your dream..."