Chapter 14

"So Kelce's girlfriend..." JJ started talking after they had walked a little on the sand but he was interrupted by Sophie whose voice had changed lots of tones since the last time she spoke -a couple seconds ago.

"Firstly! I'm not his girlfriend. We just kissed but that wasn't anything it was just a truth or dare. And secondly! I don't want to be defined by who am I dating or hooking up with. I'm a person for myself. And also if I get into troubles everyone is going to blame me , neither my boyfriend, nor the guy I hooked up once, ME! So don't call me like that." He smirked and looked down at her "Or what?"

She rolled her eyes "Or what? JJ that wasn't a threat! That was a statement" And she added lowering her voice -she had just realized that she was yelling at him. "Could you respect that?"

JJ looked at her. She was standing in front of him trying to make him believe that she wouldn't care about what he would call her but he realized that behind this whole defending attitude she was really pleading him to respect what she had just said. "Sure" her face lightened up when she heard that but immediately tried to hide it.

He cleared his throat "So, Sophie, thank you... For yesterday. But I think that I would have handled it."

"Yeah right. Because you know everything about my brother... Look my brother naturally wouldn't hurt a fly. But yesterday he... He wasn't really sober... Umm he doesn't know how to control himself during these times."

JJ looked at her. For him whenever his father was under drugs he wasn't aggressive. He wanted to say something to her but he didn't know why. So instead he asked her "But why did you help me? I'm a pogue, you're a kook so you know... We are supposed to hate each other."

"JJ I don't know what you're talking about. But just because you're a pogue that doesn't mean that you shouldn't live. You have a right in life like everyone else." She paused "oh and what did you say I am?"

"A kook Sophie. You know one of the rich guys here. I'm mean yeah you're not living here but yes you're one of them." He said dryly. He should really stop talking to her. Damn his shark habits -as John B used to call them- had waken up. Gladly in the past that was only with tourists, and Kiara but well she was with Pope. "But now seriously, why are you here? Don't you have any other friends?"

Sophie laughed "No. Rafe is my cousin, James my brother and the other to guys they're just... Indifferent. And I'm not easily making friendships so yeah. But you couldn't know what that feels like, the Pogues must've been your friends for years now in order to help John B get away with all this. Like a murder is not easy to get away with"

"There are definitely some things that you don't know. But I'm not even bother talking you for that. Yes I would do anything for the Pogues, kook princess." There he was, the good old JJ. The one who was hating kooks like nothing else in the world.

Sophie was taken by surprise "I'll accept the princess. But I feel that the whole title belongs to Sarah." She lowered her head and turned to leave. "Thank you for reminding me JJ the clique I belong in. At least now I'm not going to go missing like my cousin."

She started walking away leaving JJ behind. The boy was looking at her leaving. If only she wasn't a kook. If only... The things would be different. Very different. Or if she was any other kook. Just not related to Ward...

He decided to go find Pope and Kiara. His swimsuit was already dry due to the sun and all the heat that went with it. He grabbed his surfboard on the one hand and went to the exact opposite direction from Sophie had come.

The place where he was surfing wasn't far away from John B's house. And that made it easier for him to cope with all the heat spreading like a huge wave and shallowing everything in her pass.

He had almost reach the house when he saw Pope running towards him. He grabbed him from the shoulders anxiously. "Man why didn't you tell me?"

JJ understood immediately what his friend was talking about and he decided not to hide it anymore. "Who told you?"

Pope looked at him "Really JJ? That doesn't matter. Why didn't you tell me?" Pope was right. If he had to learn it from someone that should be him. But JJ was still curious about how he had found out.

"Look, I don't want to get into troubles. I'm used to get beaten up -that sounded pretty weird. But look I'm fine." Pope looked at his friend. The same story again. JJ was getting into trouble to protect him... At least this time he didn't end up in jail again.

"But now seriously man, who told you?" JJ asked again "Well actually it was my father." JJ was more confused than he was earlier. But he knew that there was only one thing to say

"Look I'll pay for the damage and for the whole order. Since Rafe decided to leave before he pays." Pope shook his head in disagreement

"You don't have to." JJ opened his mouth to speak "No you really don't have to. Someone has already paid. And even if that someone hadn't we wouldn't let you pay anyway..."

JJ was taken by surprise. So someone paid for the damage he had caused. And paid for the order too. And explained what had happened.

"Are you drinking again?"

Suddenly all began to make sense. She had gone to Heyward to pay for everything and that's how Heyward learnt what had happened. "Pope... I think I owe someone an apology. Except you of course" he said and hugged his friend

~~

Sophie was sitting on the Cameron's yard playing Monopoly with Wheezie, when they saw Ward entering the house. He was accompanied by two people who must've been the local cops, judging by their uniforms.

She turned her head to face her younger cousin "Uhm, Wheez? What are they doing here?"

The answer she got was by far not what she was expecting. "Oh don't worry they're coming here a lot. You'll get used to that believe me."