Chapter 29

The previous day

"JJ I'm not saying it again. Wake up, you have to go!"

"Thank you Sophie, I appreciate your hospitality."

It was a quarter past nine and the boy didn't mean to leave from the bed. She didn't want to throw him out just like that but she had no choice. If James was going to return he would return around now. And if he returned he would be accompanied by the two idiots -the one who was obsessed with her and the one who was still obsessed with Sarah- and Rafe. She knew really well that if they saw JJ on the house they were going to make a huge deal out of this.

She let out a sigh "Next time you can arrange a book earlier. At the moment you have to go, we're waiting for someone."

The boy raised her glance to look at her. She was trying to be funny but accidentally she didn't notice that her words could have another meaning. He busted into laughter and kept looking at her with his sky blue eyes.

"Shit..." The girl murmured and her cheeks turned red. She turned to look at the ceiling and covered her face with her palms laughing at what she had just said. JJ didn't take his eyes of her. "Okay enough, you have to go." She said after calming herself down.

He didn't seem too willing to follow her order. She rolled her eyes and sat on her knees. JJ had no idea what she was about to do but he hoped that she was going to do something good. Like kissing him, or sit on top of him or something but unfortunately he didn't go what he was hoping for. Sophie put as much power and effort she had and pushed him off her bed.

"Hey what was that for?"JJ asked shocked as he had just fallen on the floor. He took a painful look and looked straight into her eyes.

"I'm sorry. Are you okay?" The girl asked immediately but then realized he was just messing up with her seeing a smirk converting his face. "Oh God JJ I don't believe it... You have me apologizing and you're not even hurt."

"It's called acting sweetheart. Get used to it, here on outer banks everyone is using it. Especially the people you're hanging out with."

Sophie looked at the boy with a curious look spreading all over her face. Had he just said that everyone is lying to her? The boy stood up and leaned towards the girl kissing her forehead and taking her by surprise.

"Don't worry, you'll know when they're lying. Bye for now" and with these words he exited her room closing as quietly as he could the door behind him.

She smiled at the memory of the kiss but immediately put her shit together as she remembered his words.

"Everyone is using it. Especially the people you're hanging out with."

Was he trying to pass her a message? Or he was just warning her to be careful from now on? Why on earth did she want to live something fascinating this summer? Why?

She heard footsteps on the stairs. She just hoped that JJ was smart enough to leave from the backyard. Silence, just  footsteps on the stairs. Good sign. JJ was smart after all. She thanked God for having a backyard and then grabbed a book from the self next to her bed. The door opened and a tall boy walked in.

"So you do remember that you live here!" She said looking at her brother who was running his fingers through his long curly hair and looking her straight to her heart with his green eyes. "Are you okay James?"

The boy nodded and moved closer to her bed. "Look, don't get upset." Then silence. He was weighing his words trying to choose the right ones. But as the silencer grew bigger Sophie's face was covered with worry.

"What happened?" She had think of everything. Yet what she was about to hear was going to make her lose her mind.

"Rafe's in jail."

Sophie stared blankly at her brother. She couldn't cry, she couldn't scream, she couldn't punch anything. She really wanted to but she couldn't. She felt like all of her powers had left her. It was like drowning. That moment when you run out of oxygen, when they say that everything becomes calm and you don't feel like drowning anymore. The moment when you enjoy the calmness so much and paralyzing. And after some seconds you're dying.

James sat next to her and hugged her. She returned the hug with as much power she had. "Can we go see him?" She whispered. "Sure"

~~

"Excuse me miss? We want to see Rafe Cameron" Sophie stormed into the police station without giving a fuck if she was loud or not polite enough.

The woman who was sitting behind the glass raised her glance to face the girl and just nodded them to walk down the hallway.

"That was a little bit bold." James said as he was following his sister.

"I don't care." She had re-enacted her confidence and power and if someone saw her he could think that she was about to murder whoever appeared on her way. "Do you know why is he here?" Asked trying to understand if James knew about the sheriff

"No... Do you?"

"Why would I ask if I knew James?"

They walked in silence up to the moment they saw Rafe. He was lying on the bench hanging from the wall -or at least seemed like it. His head facing the ceiling of the cell. He seemed relaxed but inside he was burning.

"Cameron, you have visitors" he lifted his head to see who had remembered him. Of course it wasn't his father. He didn't want to be him anyway. He was always the one to blame for everything. Even when he tried to do something right it was turning out to be wrong and another reason for Ward to shout at him.

"Hey man" James said resting his back on the wall next to door of the cell.