Chapter 33

"I'm not going to help you tidy up this mess!" JJ said at Sophie who was looking at him with a pleading look a over her face.

She seemed disappointed at his response and after enacting her confidence and getting rid of that ridiculous look she spoke. "Okay. I'll remember that. You had the chance to help me but you refused..." And she moved to stand up but JJ's grip made her sit down again.

"Could you please tidy them up later? I need someone to talk to but, you know for general things." The girl moved closer to him and ran her fingers through his blonde hair.

She knew a lot more things about him than he thought she knew. She knew about his father and how close he was to dying from overdose. She knew about Barry and everything that was coming with it. She knew that his father was abusive. Yet there was no way of telling him that she knew unless he seemed ready to open up to her about these things.

"Well... I think they can wait. Either way my brother is never here anymore so the house is all mine. Who's gonna notice all this mess?"

JJ's glance wandered around the room. Well of course you couldn't say that it wasn't a mess. But at least it was better than his house after a fight.

"Come on let's talk! What do you want to know?" He returned his glance to the girl. She made herself a little more comfortable on her bed. It was funny how quickly her mood was changed. But if she did this just for lightening up his then he was grateful.

"Actually I had this question, but you may not now the answer yet..." Sophie's heart jumped; was he going to ask her out or something like that? "Most of houses have their story. What's the story for this? It's the only one I don't know." She looked a little bit disappointed but tried to shove it away and answer his question. Who was she kidding? There was no way he would find her attractive.

"Well, I'll tell you what my grandmother used to tell me when I asked the same question but don't laugh!" JJ gave her an I don't make any promises look and after she rolled her eyes told him what she knew

"So you know Salem, right? Between February 1692 and May 1693 lots of people were accused of being witches and wizards. Now thirty of them were found guilty but only the nineteen of them were executed. They're saying that one of the rest managed to escape despite being found guilty. That someone was a young girl around sixteen at the time. The witch-hunt was continued all over the state but she was nowhere to be found. She came here and built this house in the middle of the forest and then she changed her identity. Something that was easy since no one had ever seen her here before. She kept her powers a secret and she used them only inside this house. When she died everything about her disappeared and everyone who had seen her forgot about her. At least that's what my grandmother told me. Oh and when my grandmother wanted to scare me she was telling me that her spirit is still alive; but no one believes that... Even though I would really much like this to be true. You know having witch blood running in your veins. That's the story!"

JJ was looking at her trying not to miss a single word from what she was saying. When she finished she took a deep breath and wandered her glance around the room. Probably in search of something that would verify her sayings.

"Do you know any magic tricks?" JJ asked with a smirk on his face.

"Oh well you know the rules. No magic outside Hogwarts. Unless you're an adult but in our world we're considered adults from the age of seventeen... Lame right?"

The boy laughed with her words and lied back on the bed staring at the ceiling. She followed his example doing the same, lying for once more next to him.

"If you had any magic power which would that be?" JJ asked Sophie turning his head to look at her.

"Well I don't know. I mean of course I have all of them you know. Since I'm a witch." She said jokingly and smiled at the boy who was observing her. "I've heard about love potions and I have to admit that I'm fascinated by that. But I think that I would prefer being able to... Uhm... Live underwater? I don't know... would you consider it magic?"

But she didn't get an answer, instead she got another question. "Why love potions? Would you like being with someone without having him feeling the same way?"

"JJ look... You don't seem to have been heartbroken lots of times. But I have... And just like the song says a little love is better than none. And I really want the next one to like me back." He didn't reply he was just lying there beside her trying to understand her mind. Trying to figure out if she was telling him something or not. Maybe he was just imagining it.

"But what about you? Which magic power would you want?" He stayed sceptical for a minute. There were so many things he wanted to do.

"Time travel. I think that I would like to change some things that happened in the past."

"Why? If you changed something from the past then some things in present would change too!"

"My life is so miserable in the moment  at some aspects that whatever I'd change nothing could go worse!"

"Well then I hope that since you're not able to do so, as long as you're the master of your future try not to make things in the past that you'll regret later."

"Sophie..." He looked at her like his world was hanging from her "I need your help!"