Chapter 42

"Does any of you know anything about computers?"

The pogues looked at Pope and he just let out a sigh. "I know as much as they do." Sophie knew this look. She had heard about the scholarship and about Pope being the good student around the town. She knew how it felt when someone was good in school generally that he was supposed to know everything as well. That didn't matter at this point however.

"Okay. Well, Rafe told me that Ward had told him everything. And he had told him as well that now that the police had reopened the case if they were coming for them, then he would give Rafe in." She had clearly captured their interest.

"You're telling me that he's willing to give in his own son as well just to save his ass?" Kie exclaimed furiously.

"He already did..." Pope said and then looked at JJ. They were beaten up from Rafe and his friends. Many times. They weren't sad about what had happened. Quite the opposite they were somehow relieved. They believe that he deserved being in jail for treating them like that. But they couldn't believe that a father would prefer saving himself rather his child.

"Not even my father would do something like that. Unless it was to buy alcohol or drugs of course." JJ spoke and tried to make his last phrase sound humorous but there was a bitterness in it. Sophie felt the need to hug him but he wasn't a fun of hugs and she would definitely not be that expressive in front of the other two.

"I know that the house is filled with cameras. Small cameras. Wheezie," she recognised the questioning look on the boys' faces, "Sarah's sister," she added "told me that after everything that happened Ward added a new security system. The camera's are really small, they're places on books, paintings, plants. And they're planted all over the house."

"So the only thing that we need is access to the computers." Kiara's face shined. Well, Sophie thought, at least she had impressed her. Some years ago she would be really glad if she had managed to do that. But now she didn't pay much attention.

"Pretty much..."

"Sophie, is there anything that we don't know?" Pope asked

"Well, I don't know where the computers are." But as soon as she came across the disappointment on their faces she hurried to add "yet. I don't know where they are yet. But if I speak to Rafe he'll let me know!"

JJ looked away and she noticed. He was clearly not fond of the idea of her talking to him. It made sense. She should be surprised even for him talking to her.

"Okay! So let's sum up. You're going to talk to Rafe and then find a way to enter that room. After that the only thing I'll have to do is find the codes and enter the security system." Pope said to put things in an order.

Sophie shook her head. Yes that was it. And she concluded that she should be forever grateful to Pope for being that cooperative. He didn't deserve Kiara and that was for sure.

"This is a job for a super spy like me but okay Pope, this will be your moment." JJ said jokingly making his friend roll his eyes but eventually smile.

"Also, in midsummers if I have luck I may find more things. I'll enter Sarah's room, which according to her sister hasn't been opened apart from the police."

"But the police hasn't found anything! We went there and there was no sign of new evidence." Kiara protested

The two boys looked at eachother. She had a point. The only thing they had found was a tape of John B talking indicating that he was still alive.

"I'll have her sister with me. She may knows something." The pogues shook their heads and then silence spread between them. "Uhm... I think I'll go now. If I have more news I'll let you know."

"Wait! I'll come with you." The blonde boy said and followed her as she was walking away.

The two teens walked for a while in silence. The sky was cloudy. Sooner or later it was going to rain. "You didn't come last night." Sophie spoke and right after she opened her mouth she regretted saying those words.

JJ smirked but didn't look at her. He kept staring at the path in front of them. They were heading towards the forest. "Would you like it if I had?"

"I would certainly prefer it to being alone." She saved it the last minute and since she saw that he wasn't going to look at her she returned her gaze to the path.

"I'm sure that I can come now if you wanted. It's going to rain." She could hear the smile on his face.

~~

"Close the windows on the living room please!" Sophie's voice was sounded as she was climbing up the stairs trying to reach and shut down the windows on the second floor before the water of rain had entered.

She stormed into her brother's room to check about the windows. They were closed. It made sense. He hadn't been in his room for long. When she went to her room JJ was already sitting on the floor trying not to wet anything with his clothes.

"Do you, by any chance, want to remain healthy? Because if you're going to stay like that you're definitely going to catch a cold..."

He smiled and nodded. When Sophie returned she headed him over some of her brother's clothes and then exited to let him dress up. "Are you too afraid that you won't be able to think of anything else once you see me naked?"

Sophie rolled her eyes and decided to look inside. "Oh no! Please go ahead. I didn't know you want to have spectators." And she sat on her bed watching him lifting his t-shirts over his head. Yes she was regretting saying what she said. There was no way her mind would let her forget this scene.