Chapter 8

The heat was unbearable. Despite how close they were to the sea the cool brief wouldn't make much of a difference. The sea was almost steady, and it would be completely if there wasn't for the people swimming. 

Unfortunately for the Pogues there were other things to do than enjoying the cool hug of the sea. Well, to be honest, even if they were swimming they wouldn't enjoy it that much. They preferred swimming when the sea was empty of people. It made them feel like they owned her.

"I can't believe that after everything that happened last year we're obliged to serve Ward." Pope said approaching JJ who was waiting outside his house.

"That's society Pope... Either you're filthy rich and whatever you do everyone has to serve you, or you're an average person and even if you had done nothing you're the one being blamed for everything and having to serve the others."

Pope looked at his friend in an admiring way. "We've been friends for so many years and this is probably the first time you're saying something like this. I have to say that I'm impressed."

JJ let out a laugh before he responds "I think that i was just overshadowed. I've always been pretty clever."

The other boy let out a sigh "Yes you just ruined it..."

"When you're ready!" Heyward's voice sounded from afar. He was waiting for these two to help them with the delivery.

The same story all over again. Rafe and his company wanted something. Ward hadn't gotten it and that meant only one thing. They had to bring it to them. And Pope's father was the only one they could get it from.

~~

"Jump! Jump! Jump! Jump!"

Sophie looked at the pool right underneath her. She was standing on the roof of her house. God knows why she agreed on doing that.

"Truth or Dare Sophie?" Topper asked with that arrogant voice of his.

"Of course Dare Topper. Who do you think I am?" Topper grinned deviously

"I dare you to jump into the pool from the rooftop"

Sophie stared at him surprised but soon enough she found her confidence. "Well look at you! You're not so lame after all..." And with these words she stood up from her chair and moved towards the house.

She looked at Rafe and James. Both of them were staring at her betting on if she was going to jump or back off. As it seems both of them concluded that she would jump. That made their faces even more funny for her to watch. The look on their faces was concerned mixed with a here we go again one.

At first she was enjoying this but right after she stood there over than one minute she realised that she couldn't back off now. Topper would laugh at her, her brother and cousin would be disappointed but the worst thing for her was her ego. If she was backing off her self esteem would drop until it would reach the bottom. She wouldn't allow that happening.

Sophie took a deep breath and looked in front of her, breaking her eye contact with the pool. Her glance fell on someone approaching the house. She couldn't tell who he was but he had blonde hair and was tall enough. He was carrying two boxes. "Guys? Are we waiting for anyone?" She shouted.

"Depends!" Rafe answered shouting too in order her to hear him. "We're not waiting for someone to join our party but we're definitely waiting for the delivery guy!"

"It's pretty hot in here, isn't it?" Sophie said starting shaking her hands in front of her face in order to cool herself down. "I think I should have bought that fan this old lady was trying to sell me"

Rafe smiled and looked at Kelce and Topper."Well why don't we just order some refreshments?" He said almost casually but everyone understood that he had something on his mind.

"Well why not? We don't have any. Sophie here you see was to exhausted for carrying any." James said jokingly.

"Here we go then..." Rafe lifted his shoulders in an "I'm not the one to blame" way and called someone. "Hey, well we want one packet of beers and one with vodkas mixed with lemonade"

Sophie looked at her cousin laughing surprised "You know that we don't need that much!" But Rafe closed her mouth with his hand "of course we need them" he whispered and she shook her head in disappointment mixed with enjoyment.

The boy was moving closer and closer to the house. He was close enough for her to see his characteristics. She wouldn't put her hand into the fire but she was almost sure he was the guy from two nights ago. JJ was his name? The pogue one who had talked to her.

"Why Sophie are you waiting for anyone particular?" Rafe said trying to make fun.

She laughed not too much but enough for her to lose her balance and almost fall. The fact that she didn't fall didn't keep her for letting out a scream making the boy who was carrying the packets lift his head and look.

JJ's glance fell right onto hers. He looked a little bit worried. She didn't know why. Probably for being here? These guys were ready to make him regret for even talking to her. Or because of her being on the roof ready to jump? Or because of what his friends had done to her family?

She hadn't taken her eyes of his untill Topper shouted at her "Are you going to jump? I'm tired of waiting."

JJ's eyes widened. Sophie immediately broke the eye contact and after lifting her hand on the air she started counting backwards from five to zero.

"FIVE" she looked at Topper with an aggressive look

"FOUR" her glance fell onto Kelce looking at her probably worried for what was going to happen

"THREE" James and Rafe was standing there with their hands crossed on their chests watching her standing on the rooftop ready to jump like it was the most casual thing on earth.

"TWO" JJ wasn't taking his eyes of her. She wondered what was going on on his mind. He probably thought she was some kind of crazy or suicidal.

"ONE" she closed her eyes tightly taking a deep breath and jumped forward.

She lift her knees on her breast hugging them with her arms. Her eyes closed. A smile was spread all over her face. Her hair was waving on the air. She feeling like flying. Freedom. For one more time this summer she felt free. Away from the city. Away from school. Away from all the fake things of the city. Away from her responsibilities.

She touched the water and dived into it with a huge splash. The cool water was hugging her. She let out her breath combined with laughing. She returned to the surface opening her eyes for the first time since her jump.

She looked at the one side and saw James, Rafe, Kelce and that idiot Topper. She turned her head to look in front of her were the entrance was. She saw JJ looking at her awestruck.