Chapter 17

"What are you doing in my balcony Romeo?" She asked taking him by surprise.

The boy looked at her trying to control himself from the sudden nickname. "Well sorry to break it to you, but you're definitely not my Juliet"

Sophie laughed "Yeah don't worry you didn't hurt my feelings. Quite the opposite, I can assure you that I'm definitely not your Juliet. I would never die for a man"

JJ looked at her, deep down disappointed for her agreement but at the same time lucky she wouldn't kill herself for someone. "Not even for a family member of yours?"

She shook her head "Hell no... I mean I would be really sad but, well you know I want to believe that there are some people who will love and support me if something like that happens." The boy looked at her curiously "oh you didn't mean it that way. Sorry I was stuck on Shakespeare... But yes either way, I wouldn't die for anyone."

Her eyes met JJ's. Even though it was dark, and she was in the middle of nowhere she felt sure and safe. That was the first time they were like that. Sophie decided not to tell anything that would mind offend him and lead him to yell at her again.

JJ was carefully observing her. Her expression. For a moment he thought that nothing could ruin this moment but then he reminded himself the reason he was there at the first place. He really wanted things to have been different. He really wanted her to be just one regular girl like the ones he used to hang out with. Like the ones he would flirt with once and then forget about them. If only John B was here. None of this would have happened.

"Sophie" he said breaking the eye contact "look I'm sorry for yelling at you this morning. But I think you found my weak spot." She opened her mouth to apologize but JJ closed he mouth with his palm "Let me finish"

Sophie at his touch felt butterflies flying in he stomach and immediately knew that this was not going to end up well. She had felt this way with only three people in the past and with none of them had ended up well. She looked again at JJ's eyes trying to tell him that she would listen. He removed his hand slowly from her mouth and then wet his lips.

"It wasn't your fault. You only know what Rafe and Ward have told you. And since they're your family you're going to believe them. I shouldn't have shouted at you and telling that I wasn't going to talk with you about that."

Sophie was watching him apologizing. She wasn't even hurt from his words. Yes she was a kook but... She was mostly sad because by the kook princess as he had called her he reminded her of Sarah. "JJ stop, I wasn't even mad at you..."

JJ rolled his eyes "Just let me finish! It's your turn now to listen." He said referring to the night that they first met. "You have the right to remain silent." He added with a heavy accent earning a smile from Sophie. She pretended to zip her mouth and then  waited patiently for JJ to begin. He watched her as she was running her fingers on her lips and for a moment he forgot what he was about to tell her.

"Ummm... Yeah... Sooo. Well right, also I'd like to thank you for paying the damage I caused. But I, well I'll try to repay you but I don't know if I will be able to do that." He looked at her side waiting for her to talk "well you can talk now" he added and like she was waiting for his permission she immediately spoke.

"You don't have to give me the money for the damage. Believe me it's okay! And you don't have to thank me for that. It was the last thing I could do. I mean you could have actually died..." She lowered her glance trying to avoid his eyes "And as for the morning. I wasn't hurt, it was mostly because I remembered Sarah... And I totally deserved that actually. I don't know who John B was and even if he was a murderer he was your friend. And you love him. And I wish I had a friend too who would love me that much..."

He looked at the girl. There was no way telling her why he was there. There was no way using her to help himself and his friends. 

"But hey! You can help me learn what is going on!  Please, I feel like everyone else knows everything."

She looked at JJ with a pleading look and he returned the glance. "Well, if you come with me I will." He said raising his hand for her to take it.

Sophie looked at it. Just the thought of touching him made her heartbeat faster. She had almost decided to take it when she remembered to ask were he was about to take her.

"Well if you don't mind I'll take you were the Pogues are hanging out. I'm not sure she if I can tell you everything that happened all by myself." He really wanted her to accept his offer and follow him.

"I... I don't think that I want to. It's not that I hate you or something but I don't know. Just answer me this, honestly. If Sarah hadn't started hanging out with you, would she be here, alive?"

JJ looked straight into her eyes. He was about to lie. But while he was going to speak he realized what he was about to do. No, he wouldn't lie. He lowered his face. "Yes, she would be alive" that was it. There was no way she would talk to him again or help him as Pope and Kiara were hoping.

"Is John B a murderer?" The boy looked surprised at her. The disappointment on his face had immediately disappeared.

"No, no he isn't."

Sophie sat next to him on the balcony railing. "I'm sorry then. You must miss him a lot..." Her words were honest and JJ smiled at her reassuring her that it was fine.

"Well, then, untill the next time Sophie." He said as he was going to hold from the climbing plants and walk down.

"Stop! Don't climb back down. Here follow me my brother is not here."

"Juliet didn't prevent Romeo from doing it."

"Yes but as you said I'm not Juliet. So follow me inside." She replied and rested her back onto the glass door waiting for him. JJ eventually preferred his life from playing it Romeo and decided to do as she said.

They were at the exit and he was about to say goodbye for once again when Sophie said that she would escort him to the yard's exit.

She really liked his company and she didn't want this night to end. But due to her stubbornness on not wanting to go with him to meet the rest of the Pogues this they were walking towards the end of the moment. She looked at the boy walking next to her. He was really handsome.They had reached the end.

"Goodnight  Romeo"

JJ looked at her for once more. The only lights were far away from here. Her brother wasn't in the house. Rafe was definitely far away. It was only him and her. He could kiss her and none would ever find out.

"Goodnight princess"