Chapter 6

JJ was not expecting something more so he sat down next to her after he returned the smile.

The sea water was licking the sand in the shore. As it was coming and going it was taking within it all the shapes the previous wave had marked on the sand. The secrets of the sea were forgotten or taken away seconds after they were said. The secrets of each one of the waves were safe in the heart of the ocean. Maybe that's why people love the sea. Maybe they feel that their secrets are safe with her.

"I've never seen you around before." JJ said turning to watch the girl sitting next to him.

"Well, I just got here so... You don't miss anything though. My life is not fascinating or something" she replied secretly admiring his willing of talking to a complete stranger.

He nodded "How was the journey?"

"One word. Exhausting!" She said rolling her eyes. The look on her face was saying that she was telling the truth because she had taken a "I don't know how I make it alive from there" expression

"You didn't come with the plane?" JJ asked her confused. If she hadn't come with the airplane that would have meant only one thing. She had come with a ship and there was only one ship arriving today. She didn't seem like a rich one and she was definitely looking or acting like a kook. She was actually pretty nice to be considered one of them.

"Yeah I didn't. I got here with that cruise ship." She saw the look on boy's blue eyes, she reconsidered her words and tried to make this whole thing look better. She wasn't meant to show off her family's wealth and under other circumstances she wouldn't say anything in order to cover it up but here... Here it was different... Maybe it was that here there was a huge financial gap between the inhabitants. Or maybe it was that look on the boy's eyes. A look of disappointment.

"My brother had always dreamt about going on a cruise and now his dream could be true. He was waiting 11 years for that..."

"Your brother is 11 years old?" The disappointment on his eyes faded away as he heard her words.

"What?? No" she laughed with his question. "He's 19 but eleven years is whole life. A decade and one year." She smiled. He smiled her back.

"So what tired you so much on this luxurious cruise?"

"Well it was extremely hot outside and in order to keep it cool you had to stay all easy long in the ship either that was your cabine or the café or any other place. The thing is that I didn't agree to that cruise for comfort but because I wanted to sail. And by that I mean that I wanted to be on the board all the time. And the heat was unbearable. Am I talking too much?"

He nodded her no taking a sip from his bottle of beer. "Continue"

"And sometimes when there was the slightest breeze that made the heat not so unbearable all the teenager passengers were deciding to throw parties... There was this one point when I was hoping that it could start raining. Not too much but just enough to cancel the party."

"So your last days were practically a party" he said with some kind of jealousy in his voice. It wasn't that he wanted to be everyday in a party but this would be more fun than him that hanging out alone, surfing and swimming.

"Well yes... But I really hope that this is not going to continue here. I'm tired of all this luxury on every aspect of these people's lives. I mean just because someone has money that doesn't mean that he can throw them away just like that."

"I guess you're right..." The gold, Topper's boat, the hot tab. Flash backs came into his mind. Images of days under the sun, good days. Now they were gone.

"You're kind of weird you know..." He looked at her. "In a good way. The most people I know wouldn't have started small talk with a stranger."

"Well, I could say the exact thing for you. Most of the people I know wouldn't open up like that. When was the last time you spoke to someone today?"

She made a morph "An hour ago... Sorry if I was too tiring. You're the first one I met that bothered talking to me."

"Are you kidding? The last time someone spoke to me like that was almost a year ago."

She widened her eyes in surprise "A year? Oh God I don't think I could've handled that... But I think you can see that for yourself"

"Yeah..." He looked down at her, his eyes fell on her hands lifting up a red cup. "What are you drinking?"

"Well it's vodka, mixed with lemonade. Do you want to try some?"

Their hands hadn't touched yet when a voice was heard on the background and they were surrounded by two groups of people.

"Keep your hands off her!!" Rafe shouted

"He didn't even touch me... Relax!" The girl stood up yelling at her cousin. She wasn't a little girl she could take care of herself and this boy had not even touched her. It was unfair being yelled at.

"You don't know anything about him, so don't even try taking his side." These words were coming from James as the three other guys, Rafe, Topper and Kelce were to busy threatening JJ. "And now come with me I have to take you out of here."

"What do you want JJ? Why are you even here? This is a civilized party and you are clearly not one of the civilized ones. But who to blame? Your father wasn't the best example"

JJ lifted his fist on the air on an attempt to land it on Rafe's face when a hand behind him hold it. He turned to see Pope and Kiara giving them an ensuring look that he would be fine and that he had to let it go.

"Don't mess up with us ever again pogues! Like Sarah was not enough for you to destroy..." These words came from Topper's mouth as the Pogues were leaving.

They were walking along the beach letting their bare feet sink into the wet from the waves sand.

"Sorry for almost getting us into troubles... Again"

"Man, we're sorry for leaving you alone when you needed us the most."

"Exactly...as far as I'm concerned you're not the one that should apologize. Sorry JJ"

They made a group hug taking strength from each other.

"Kie, do you know who this girl was?"

Pope busted into laughter "Dude you spent almost an hour with her and you didn't bother asking for her name?" JJ rolled his eyes at him and then turned to look Kie

"I haven't seen her for ages. She's Sophie Green, Rafe's younger cousin"