Chapter 41

Sophie's head was spinning. She had to do something. Something but she didn't know what. She had to find a way to get Rafe out of jail and to put Ward behind bars. And that permanently. And the worst part of it was that her brother wasn't very helpful considering his obsession with drugs. If Barry was the one behind all this he could actually help. Now the only way he could prove himself useful was either being beaten up for once more in front of the policemen eyes or testifying against Ward. His testimony though wouldn't matter. And If it didn't matter then his life would be in danger. Ward would turn against him.

Scooter's wife though knew what had happened. The pogues knew what had happened. Jessica Bale knew. She was still 16 she couldn't really help and even if she could she was away when all these things took place. Wheezie? What if she could help? What if she knew the whole story? But then she remembered something more. Sarah...

Maybe she could help her even from afar. The police was coming to Camerons' house everyday. They must have discovered something. Anything! Something that was keeping their interest on the case alive. She could have kept something inside her room. Something that could be against Ward. Something that was addressing to the police. But had the police actually find it? Or was it still somewhere inside the room.

She could sneak into her room and search for evidence. She could do that on Midsummers. No one was going to see her. Yes that was the day. But what if she didn't find anything else. She had to make someone speak. And someone whose word would mean something. And then it crossed her mind. Ward's testimony. If he could have it written or something. Maybe he could have something on his phone. Or even better, the security system in the house. There were cameras all over the house. She could find the conversation he had with Rafe. The problem was one. She had no knowledge of computers and camera systems...

She brought her hand to cover her eyes from the sun as she was lifting her head to look at the sky and then looked around. How could a placer that she loved so much had ended up turning into a dreadful house? How could the man that loved like a father ended up being a murderer? Memories of her childhood came to her mind making her tear up. James and Rafe messing around. Sarah Whizie and she painting eachother's nails to feel like they were grown up.

"Sophie!" She turned back just to come face to face with her cousin smiling at her. "We're going to prepare together right? Like every year!" She was talking about midsummers. It was like a tradition. When they were children they used to go up to Sarah's room and pretend to get ready. They were even making dresses from the bedsheets and crowns from the flowers they had spent hours picking up all morning. James and Rafe of course were making fun of them but even them were locking themselves into Rafe's room and after a while they were exiting with suits on and lots of Ward's cologne.

"Yes! We will!" And then an idea crossed her mind. "We can unlock Sarah's room. So we'll feel like she's still with us."

She raised an eyebrow "No one has entered apart from the police. Are you sure this is a good idea?"

Sophie looked at her. Did she know what her father had done? Or was she left out of the family secret? If she knew Ward wouldn't let her enter the room. But what if Sophie asked? He wouldn't object to his niece who was missing her favourite cousin.

"Why wouldn't it be? Oh come on Wheez... Unless you don't miss her that much." She said trying to piss her off. Wheezie looked irritated by the assumption and shook her head in agreement.

That was it they were going to enter.

~~

"Did I just spot a certain kook walking towards here?" Pope said from the pillows where he was laying and gave a knowing look to JJ who immediately dropped down the cigarette he was smoking and after rubbing it with his shoe so it would stob burning looked behind him.

"Could you imagine? JJ in love with a kook." Kiara commented and threw a pillow at him making him turn to face her.

"You're a kook as well in case you have forgotten, Kie."

"Besides, Kie, she's not a simple kook" Pope mocked his best friend and the couple laughed.

The truth was that all of them awaited her arrival. They were looking at the clock waiting for the moment that she would come to find them, share information with them.

"Hello..." She smiled awkwardly. For the first time she was in loss of words. It would be really easy for her to start talking about their case but... Well at first some manners, she was supposed to be a kook after all, high society and staff. Not that the Kooks were kind and polite. God no! "How are you?"

"Nothing much... Here we were just discussing what would be better to do, going scuba diving or playing golf?" Kiara replied and both the boys and the girl looked at her surprised.

Pope was the one who spoke next trying to calm down the spirits. "Actually waiting for you. Any new clue? JJ said that Barry wasn't going to help."

The girl looked at the blond boy for the first time since she had arrived. Maybe she didn't want to face him knowing that sooner or later this whole thing would end and when he had John B back and she Sarah their relationship was going to stop.

"No clue... But I have a plan."

The two boys smiled at her and she smiled back. Sophie had no idea why Kiara was hating her so much. She hadn't done anything. "What's the plan?"

"Hold on Kie, do you want to bring something for you to drink?" JJ moved inside the house and the three teens could see him opening the refrigerator and looking inside "We have..." he stopped his words trying to find something "Nothing apparently. I think I drunk the last beer this night... Anyways! Back to the plan." He exited with a smirk playing on his face.

Sophie shook her head and opened her mouth to talk about the plan but her mind was elsewhere. Specifically she was thinking about how much she was hoping that JJ would appear for once more on her balcony. He never did.

"Well... Do any of you know anything about computers?"