Chapter 16

Sophie was standing at the entrance of the forest almost frozen. She loved walking into the forest, she felt like it was a magic, like the ones where fairies live -yes she was daydreaming a lot. But at the moment she was pretty scared walking into that. It reminded her of a haunted forest, like the one on lord of the rings, with the only exception being that she would find satisfying if the trees were actually alive.

If she was living in a fairytale colourful lights would appear in front of her leading her home. If she was living in the live action of Alice in the Wonderland she was lucky being alive by now. She shook her head trying to forget about that movie.

She took a deep breath and entered the forest. There were no colourful lights of course but the stars could be seen. As soon as she entered she was surrounded by the magical smell of the night flowers which almost hypnotized her. For a minute she thought that if she was a fairy she would definitely choose to live here but then she reminded herself that she had to go home.

Despite the enchanting scenery she had to return because she would never know what animals where living there and who would walking in the same forest too with not so good intentions.

As she was walking her mind made up weird scenarios which if James would hear he would roll his eyes and tell her that she's trying to make her life interesting. But it wasn't her fault. First no one grieving about Sarah, second the woman's words about Ward, now the police, Rafe acting weird when she mentioned the cops. Something was going wrong. But she didn't know anything about that.

She really wanted to know what had happened last year. She was just hoping that if she could give a reasonable explanation for that she would be able too to understand what was going on now. But with no one talking about the previous summer how was she going to find answers?

From her position she could see the top of her house. As soon as she exited the forest let out an inhale. She could only feel one thing. Relief. Relief that she had eventually done it herself. That she was worthy. That's all she needed.

She looked up just to face her house with no lights turned on, sign that James was either sleeping -impossible- or he wasn't there. As far as she wanted to see her brother she didn't feel sad for his absence. She smiled at herself knowing that no one was watching and did something that she was waiting for a long time.

As childish and crazy it may sounds she pretended to be in a nice dress like the ones the princesses are wearing and strolled down the path leading her into the entrance of her house dancing.

She just wanted to pretend she was someone else for a minute. Someone whose life would change from a minute to another. Like it was happening to all the princesses in fairytales. Like it was happening to all her favourite literary characters. But at the moment thanks to her palace looking alike house she felt closer to pretend she was the daughter of a royal family, who had to make a huge sacrifice in order to save her family, friends and people. Little did she know.

~~

JJ had left Kiara and Pope at John B's house around an hour ago. He was walking into the woods leading himself to the Greens' house. As he was observing the trees' shapes thoughts sprang into his mind.

If the case about John B's father and Sheriff Peterkin reopened then they would be in troubles. Even if Pope was proven wrong the kooks could easily put the blame on them. Since their opinion wouldn't mean much to anyone Ward could easily take advantage of that.

But what if a kook was on their side. Pope and Kie were partly right. But what if they achieved to convince her about the truth and use her to make Ward and Rafe confess? Of course the guys just wanted her to tell them about the police but what he had just thought could be more helpful.

"But I think that the whole title belongs to Sarah."

He thought that she must really missed her. So what if she was alive? If she was alive then John B would be alive too. And if he was, the only way he would come back was by destroying Ward. So the only way Sarah could return was helping them take Ward down.

But JJ didn't want to use Sophie.

"I'm not easily making friendships."

He couldn't just show up to a girl who clearly wanted to find someone to whom she could talk to and use her just for achieving something and then leaving her. Pope and Kie would agree on that too. But at first he wanted to apologize for the way he had talked to her at the morning.

He was approaching the yard of her house. The lights were switched off except one on a balcony. The last time he was there it didn't end up really well. Fortunately he spotted Sophie behind the glass which separated her room from the balcony.

After he thought how would he entered without being noticed he decided on climbing up the climbing on the wall plants. Some seconds later he was on the balcony sitting on the marble railing

Sophie was dancing in her room with her headphones on when she turned around and faced JJ sitting on her balcony. She didn't realize immediately who he was and that caused her fall back on her bed. JJ laughed at her reaction and he wasn't the only one. She let out a laugh which was filled with relief and then moved towards her balcony.

"Hello" she smiled

"Hi" the boy replied running his fingers through his blonde locks.

"What are you doing in my balcony Romeo?" She asked taking him by surprise.