Chapter 38

When the narration came to an end both Pogues and Sophie fall into silence. The first ones because of their sadness at reminiscing these things, the latter being in shock after what she had just heard.

Ward had killed three people and attempted to kill one more. Sheriff Peterkin was shot from Rafe just for doing her job. These kids standing in front of her were almost killed by a crazy, old and with an interesting -if not a violent- past, woman. Sarah was taken without her will to the airport following Ward. And all these just for the gold. Just for a silly treasure hunt. Or at least that's what it seemed like in her eyes. And why would Sarah and Ward and even Kiara want the gold? They were already settled.

She looked at the Pogues starting at the wooden floor. They were all of them lost in their thoughts. They had sucrificed lots of things in order to find the gold -such as Pope's scholarship- and Ward, without doing the slightest thing took it. Everything was against him. And that was hurting Sophie. All this time she hoped that he was a good person, a nice man, a loving father -well only to Sarah- , but as it seems she was wrong. She didn't know her family and if she didn't knew them how could she be sure for anyone else?

JJ raised his glance looking joyfully at his friends and Sophie. They were quiet for too long and that was breaking his heart. He opened his mouth to say something but ended up closing it again. No words were coming to his mind. He has no idea what to say on situations like this. Lucky for him the silence broke soon since Pope discussed to speak up.

"Look you clearly don't have to believe us but this is the truth. And if you want Sarah to come back you can help us."

Sophie shook her head in agreement. Of course she was going to help them. Well but only for that. "I will. I will help you. But don't expect me to pour out my heart to you. This relationship is going to end there. As soon as we complete the mission." She couldn't trust them. She didn't even know who could she trust. Her closest ones turned out to be responsible for homicides.

At her answer JJ looked away for a second wandering his glance first to the floor then to John B's yard and then he looked straight into Sophie's eyes. He smiled at her not letting the girl realize that he was slightly disappointed from her answer. The other two Pogues shook their head and extended their hands for a sealing the deal handshake.

The girl smiled at them and shook their hands. "Uhm... Do you by any chance know where Barry lives?"

"Oh girl, you don't want to go there!" Kiara said taking Sophie by surprise. The knew eachother due a long time in the last but Kiara was always around Sarah and they never paid attention to her -she was a year younger you see.

"Well, as it seems I want." She replied harshly, but knowing why. Maybe she was too afraid of making them her friends. Even though she wasn't regretting talking to JJ that day on the beach.

"I'll be you're personal chauffeur." JJ said knowing exactly what she was going to do there. "But I want to get paid afterwards. Maybe a beer or something?"

The girl looked at the boy and smiled. "Beer it is" maybe she wouldn't be able to keep this professional with JJ but she could try.

The two teens started walking away from where they were previously sitting. Both in silence. The only short of communication were the stolen glances between them.

"How did you decide to hear the story from us?" JJ asked looking straight in front of him trying to break the tension spreading between them.

"I heard a part of it. And you were the oh ones who knew the whole story."

"Oh so it was just because you needed us. Not because you wanted to know us." The girl turned to look at him. She didn't understand why he was saying that. She had made it pretty clear in the last that she wouldn't feel comfortable around them. And why did he care? He was the one who left her after all. Look at her now she was complaining just for leaving early.  That boy was going to be the end of her.

"I don't understand your tone. After all you were going to need me too. It was just a matter of time before deciding to cooperate."

And that's the truth. Even though JJ didn't want this to happen. Either way he knew that this was the only way of finding a way out of all this. (Too much way) He looked at the ground kicking a little rock in front of him. It ran for a little in the ground and eventually stopped falling onto a tree's trunk.

"And after this cooperation comes to an end what? That was it?"

Sophie took her glance from the curving road and looked towards him. "I mean... If you WANT to still hang out with me I won't have a problem but if you DON'T I..." She was about to say that she wouldn't have a problem either but she knew that this wouldn't be the truth.

"Yes?"

"Well, I mean, I don't even know the guys okay? I mean yes I knew Kiara but we were never close and Pope. I just met him so... I won't have a problem leaving it there."

"And what about me?"

The girl looked at her feet. Suddenly her shoes seemed really interesting. She thought that she should probably buy another pair like this. Her cheeks were turning red and definitely not from the heat of the day.

"Oh! Is this the house?" She said finally. Gladly for her they had arrived. A weight left her shoulders thinking that she wouldn't answer his question. It was too personal.