Chapter 39

Barry appeared on the threshold and his eyes filled with curiosity and surprise fell on Sophie. She was standing next to JJ and despite her anxiety and fear for the person in front of her she was facing him without showing it. JJ was standing close enough to make sure that if she felt uncomfortable he was going to be there for her but far enough so she wouldn't seem like a coward. They had discussed it and the best way to get Barry to do something or like you -if this word can be used in his case- you'd have to be pretty brave and ready to risk it all.

"Who's the girl Maybank?" He asked without taking his eyes off her. His question, filled with mockery, was answered by Sophie who as soon as she heard him addressing to JJ for her became furious.

"You can ask me. I'll give a much better description of myself." He was taken by surprise, someone could say that he was impressed.

"Easy there princess." Sophie at his words felt disgusted. The word princess was a nice one. Really. It can be used as a compliment. But only when it's used correct. Barry used it to make fun of her of because he meant it but whatever the case was she didn't like it.

"I'm here to pay you." The girl said with a straight face, without even blinking. She hoped that this was going to end up soon. As soon as this was going to be over Rafe would be our of jail. And who knows, maybe Ward would be behind bars for what he had done. It was hurting her but she knew that eventually one of them would go to jail. Of not both of them. And if she had to choose who should be left free that would be Rafe.

"I don't recall buying anything from me... But maybe we can find something for you, sweetheart."

"She's not going to buy anything from you" JJ sounded a little more harsh and protective over Sophie than he had expected. "She's here to pay for my da... For me." He couldn't put that on his dad. If someone isn't sober he doesn't know what is right to do. And his dad was clearly not sober.

"Oh, oh, oh, well played man... You didn't have to rob a kook's house after all." JJ didn't say anything to deny Barry's words and Sophie didn't feel betrayed at his silence since she was the one who offered to help him and she wanted to make a deal out of it. "So do you have them?" He raised his hand in order to be handed over the money. The girl put out the money in a packet of cash from the backpack that was hanging from one of her shoulders but gilded them back.

"I could give you more than 5 thousands." Now she had the full Barry's attention "But you have to do me a favour..." He was clearly not indifferent by her offer and that could be seen by the way his expression had changed from mocking to showing pure interest. "I'll pay you the double if only you take neck what you said about Rafe at the cops."

At first he was surprised but that quickly changed to sarcasm towards the blonde boy standing quietly behind them wishing the get lost from the sight of earth. He hated leaving others Dr with his problems instead of him. "As out seems I got quickly into conclusions. She clearly preferred a kook over you boy." His words went straight into to his heart. If Rafe want in jail would she help him? Maybe she was doing that only for her cousin. Maybe she didn't care about him. Maybe when all this was over she would actually forget about him. And he was sick of being left. First his mother, then his father -because yes, he was still with him but his ACTUAL sober father wasn't, and then John B and Sarah, and then Pope and Kie.

"Firstly, Rafe is my goddamn cousin.  And secondly I'm still waiting for your answer. Even though I would really much like you to explain your surprise." She replied as soon as she could to his comment since she was pretty offended by his assumption. But now that she thought about it again she realized that this was not the answer she should give. She should never said that she didn't choose Rafe over JJ or something like that. "What's so funny?"

Barry smirked and looked at the sky smiling "You know that I have no idea about what you are taking."

"Oh come on I know that it was you who turned my cousin into for Peterkin's murder!" Barry's eyes widened. The roles had changed. From when he was the leader of the conversation now he had become the one who knew nothing about what was going on.

"Look here, I didn't say anything even though I could." She was ready to explode, at first the nicknames, then his mockery over JJ and her and now he couldn't even accept his previous actions.

"Don't lie to me." She said making a step forward but she stopped in her tracks as JJ's hand wreaked around her wrist reminding her that she wouldn't achieve something with violence.

JJ in contrast to Sophie, believed Barry. For once in his life he believed him since he was from the same world as him. He was from the cut as well. And he was a drug dealer, everyone should know what that meant.

"Okay okay you know what. Let's say that I did it. Why is you beloved cousin still in jail? Why did he get there on the first place. Look princess; I'm from the cut, I'm a drug dealer. Why would someone believed me? Rafe on the other hand is a pogue. It's his word against mine. You can imagine which one matters the most."

"But.."

"There's no but Sophie" JJ said without raising his voice. His comment was mostly like as he was accepting his fate that was the same one as Barry's. No one from the cut could be taken seriously. "The cops are on kooks' side."

"And then who?" But her voice fade as soon as she realized that there was actually someone who could have done it. Someone whose word was more important than Rafe's. His father's. Ward's.