𝑭𝒐𝒖𝒓𝒕𝒉 𝑰𝒏𝒕𝒆𝒓𝒂𝒄𝒕𝒊𝒐𝒏

ғᴏᴜʀᴛʜ ɪɴᴛᴇʀᴀᴄᴛɪᴏɴ.

I returned to the farm and quickly left Theodore back in the stables before running inside.
As I crossed the door the smell of food hit me, and when I walked inside the living room, where they were all gathered, everyone was already setting the table.

Doris, as she watched me entering, ran towards me to greet me, lifting her arms in the air for me to pick her up.

"Not now, munchkin." - I said softly, tapping on her head. - "Mom, I need to talk to you."

My mother looked up at me from her seat and raised an eyebrow.

"We're about to have dinner dear."

"Mom, please I need this." - I said a bit lower than before.

Her facial expression changed to a concerned one, and she made a sign to my dad for them to start eating without us.

She pointed upstairs and I followed her into the playroom, knowing no one downstairs would be able to hear our conversation.

"What's all of this about?" - She asked as she sat down on the couch.

I sighed and sat down next to her.

"Mom, how old were you when you met dad?"

My mother smiled slightly and her eyes lightened up.

"Twenty five, dear."

"And you always say that it was because of the sea, right?"

"Louis, I've told you the story plenty of times, you know the answer." - She smiled.

"Yeah, I know. I guess I just want to know more." - I shrugged.

"Is there someone?"

I looked up at her and nodded.

"Yeah, and I'm starting to think that is like you and dad."

"How is it like?"

"I can hear a voice. And it's haunting me."

"What else?"

"I don't know. He just speaks into my head. I mean he doesn't exactly speak to me, he is just thinking, to himself. But I can hear him. I can hear him think."

My mother's smile turned wider.

"It's a he?"

"Yeah." - I shrugged.

"Okay honey. I can tell you're worried. There's nothing to be worried about, yeah?" - She said and I nodded. - "Good, what do you want to know?"

"How this works. Please."

"Sure. Well at first you'll feel it as something strange inside you, like it's intruding, right?" - She asked me and I nodded. - "Well, that feeling will go away eventually. You will only hear him if you're both by the beach at the same time, otherwise it just doesn't happen. So the times you heard him it was because he was there too, and he probably heard you thinking as well."

"He can hear my thoughts too?!" - I froze.

"Yes baby. Only if you are both there by the sea, that's the only way you can communicate."

"And can we like... have talks? Like if I talk to him in my mind, will he reply to me?"

"No." - She laughed. - "It doesn't work like that. You can't talk through your mind, it's not telekinesis. You'll only hear his real and internal thoughts, his emotions, his fears."

"So I can't find who he is by talking to him?"

"No, dear."

"And how do I find him?"

"I don't know. You'll have to search until the things that you heard from his thoughts match with a person, I think."

"But that's not how you found dad."

"I know darling, but your dad wasn't hard to find, he literally started shouting at everyone that he had a voice in his head."

I bursted into laughter.

"That's not what you told us!"

"I know it 's not." - She laughed. - "I just like to make up new ways of telling you guys the story and to explain the legend to you, so eventually you'll understand when your soulmates present to you. Just like you did. Besides, since it wasn't the most romantic way, I needed to invent a bit to make it more entertaining, don't you think?" - I laughed and she nudged on my side. - "I'm sure your story will be more romantic than mine with your dad."

I smiled softly and nodded.

"Maybe. I have to find him first." - I rolled my eyes. - "So I just keep listening to him?"

"Maybe you can get closer to the city and wait until you hear him again, then you'll start looking."

"He doesn't really like the beach, from what I've heard. What if he doesn't show up anymore?"

My mother frowned.

"You'll just have to let the sea do it's work. He'll be brought to you in no time."

🌊🌊🌊

That night I went to bed with a lot happening in my mind.
After talking to my mother and trying to understand how everything worked I just couldn't get to sleep at all.
I needed to put all my recent knowledge to work.

I slipped out of the covers and put on some sandals on my feet, took a sweater in hand and opened the bedroom door as quietly as I could.

I tiptoed out of the house, trying to not wake anyone up, and made my way to the stables. There, I took Theodore out of his cubicle, hearing him grumble because I woke him up and I set the saddle on his loin.

My horse just grumbled over and over again until I jumped on his back and caressed his fur.

"Stop complaining and help me a little." - I whispered, leaning down to Theodore's ear.

Theodore leaned his head down and up again, hitting my forehead with his trunk.

"Be a good boy, Yeah?" - I sat up on the saddle and tugged on his leash, hitting his sides with the heel of my foot.

Theodore immediately started galloping towards the beach.

I knew it was almost midnight, and that my soulmate probably wouldn't be there at that time of the night.
But since this whole communication thing started, I felt more and more connected to the sea. Like if only by being there, it could give me stability and peace of mind.

When we got there, Theodore understood that we would be staying there longer and he just laid down next to me.

I buried my feet on the sand as I laid down with my back resting on Theodore's side.
I dropped my head on his loin, side hugging him and caressing his fur.

"I'm sorry for dragging you with me, but I need moral support." - I said and Theodore snorted. - "Yeah, okay I know you're mad. But we can sleep here."

The crash of a wave interrupted my words and I felt a cold shiver going down my spine.
I covered my body as much as I could with my sweater and curled up against Theodore.

And I must admit that even if it was quite cold, I felt more at home than in my own house.