Chapter 23

Minjae's POV

Baseball practice was extremely nerve-wracking today. I've been trying to avoid my teammates in case they heard about what happened with Hyunmin.

Most people in this school aren't supportive of the LGBTQ+ community. That or they don't understand and make no effort to understand. But if you ask me, I think a lot of them are in the closet.

Just as I'm about to go up for batting practice, my mom runs onto the field. "Mom, what are you doing?"

"We need to go, Minjae."

"What? Why?"

Mom comes up to me and hugs me, with tears slowly making their way down her face. "Sweetheart, Yuna was in a bad accident."

I didn't understand at first, or maybe I was in shock. "What do you mean by a bad accident?"

She pulls away from the hug and looks at me with her reddened eyes. "Her dad pulled her out of school, and they got into a wreck on the way home."

"Wait, what!? Is she okay?"

"I don't know, baby. I just got a call from her track coach saying she's in bad condition. So we need to see her, okay, because I don't know how bad it is."

She grabs my hand and takes me off the field and to her car. The hospital isn't too far, so we got there quickly and parked near the ER entrance. But before my mom could rush out of the car, I burst into tears.

Mom pulls me into another hug and strokes my hair to calm me down. "I know, Minjae. I'm scared too."

"I was so mean to her mom. I yelled at her the last time we talked. She can't go. I have to tell her I'm sorry." I don't think I've cried this much in my life. The thought of losing my best friend is excruciating.

I can't lose her. I just can't.

A/N: Y'all, I completely forgot my friend's birthday. I'm so dead. Hopefully, she'll give me a painless death after I give her her present. Wish me luck.

Also, guess who quit her job, this girl right here. Let's just say I was done with the manager and boss. They were very rude, and they didn't give me any kind of respect simply because I'm a minor. I'm glad to be out of there, and now I have more time to finish this story. Plus, I should have a lot of time to type on the plane ride to Washington. So you guys won't have to wait too long for the next chapters, hopefully.