Chapter 8

Edited✔️

※※※※※※

I woke up to the sound of a rooster crowing. I rolled over and saw JJ sleeping next to me. I smiled at his presence. He slowly opened his eyes.

"Watching me sleep?" He smirked.

I laughed.

"I'm gonna go make breakfast" I smiled.

"Nooo, I want cuddles" he groaned pulling me closer to him.

"No JJ, I need to check on John B" I pulled him off me.

"Taylorrr" he groaned.

"I'll come back with food" I giggled.

I walked out of the room and saw John B on the couch.

"Hey JB" I smiled.

"What? Where am I?" He looked at his surroundings.

"On the couch..." I paused.

"Oh, right. Fuck" I turned around and saw him looking at his black eye in the mirror.

"Yeah, it looks pretty gnarly" I pouted at him.

"What ya doing?" He asked walking over to me.

"Cooking breakfast, you need to clean your house and buy food" I opened the empty fridge.

"I've found some bacon and bread but that is it" I sighed.

"Ok, mom!" He threw his arms up in defeat.

"Sorry to break in like this but DCS called" we heard from behind us.

We turned around and saw Sheriff Peterkin leaning up against the door frame.

"They wanted to check on you. See how you're doing" she said to John B.

"Taylor does your mother know you're here? I know how she feels about you hanging out on the cut" she asked me.

"Yeah, my mother knows" I raised a brow.

She smiled.

"John B, how are you, besides the-" she pointed to her eye indicating his black eye.

"Oh, no, I'm- I'm great. Yeah, fantastic. Uh... thanks for coming by" he stuttered.

"I'm so glad to hear you say that, John B but I heard a few thing that worried me. Let me see if I can remember. Oh, yeah. One of the things I heard was that your Uncle Teddy, your guardian, hasn't been in the state for three months" she said.

"That's false" John B stated.

I looked at him knowing he has been living alone. No Uncle Teddy.

"You don't have to say anything. I know it's true. I called the school. They said you used to be a good student. But now you're falling all your classes" she held up a cigarette on the table and sniffed it.

"No. No, I'm only failing one, and it's history. The dudes a dick, he's out for me-"

"I heard there was a fight on the beach yesterday" Peterkin spoke up making me tense.

"And a gun was involved" she added.

"Okay. Gun?" John B asked.

"No, did I get in a dustup? Yes, but was there a gun? No. No way"

"That's okay. I know who it was. I'll get to him" she looked me up and down.