Chapter 27

Edited✔️

※※※※※※

"Hey guys, so like, my dads already gonna kill me. So what's this mandatory meeting about?" Pope asked as we were all sat around the fire.

I was sat next to JJ with his and around me cuddled up into his side.

"Might as well tell him, man, before we get gaffed" JJ spoke up.

Me and Kie both have each other questionable looks.

"You ready for this?" John B asked.

"Yeah"

"Yeah"

"So, the gold never went down with The Royal Merchant-"

"-Oh, my God. Here we go again with this" Pope interrupted John B.

I rolled my eyes.

"No. All right, wait. Hear him out" Said JJ.

"It's been here the whole time" John B went on.

"It's on the island"

"Are you serious?" I asked.

"Oh my God!" Kie smiled.

"I'd like to voice my skepticism" Pope spoke up.

"I'm sure you would, Pope, but can I please present you with my evidence, sir?" John B sighed.

"Proceed"

"All right. So, in my backpack, I have a letter from Denmark Tanny"

"Who the hell's that?" Kie asked.

"Denmark Tanny was a slave that survived The Royla Merchant wreck. Check this out" John B passed Kie the note.

"Okay, slaves weren't mentioned as crew members on the ship, but my dad, he found the complete manifest. That was his big discovery. So Tanny used the gold from The Merchant to buy his freedom"

Kie whistled to get my attention. She passed me the note so I could read it.

"After that, he bought his farm. Drumroll, please, because that farm is..."

We all started to slap our knees creating the drumroll sound effect.

"Tannyhill Plantation"

"Tannyhill?" Kie grinned.

"Yeah, so, after that, he used his money to free even more slaves, and then he sold a shit-ton of rice, which pisses off all the white planters, and then they decide to lynch him. So on the day they were come to get him, he writes a letter to his son as a farewell, and in the last line of that letter, he leaves a coded message about where to find the gold"

"Where?" I whispered.

"Harvest the wheat in parcel nice, near the water. Except... there's no wheat. You see, wheat his code for gold. Check this out" John B pointed to the letter.