Chapter 13

Edited✔️

※※※※※※

"Guys, guys, is that them? Is that them?" Kie panicked.

"This is suboptimal" Pope gazed out the window.

"John B, I told you. Why does it always-" JJ was interrupted by John B shoving him up against the wall.

"JJ! Hey, look at me. Where's the gun?" John B asked him.

"Gun? I, uh, I can't-" JJ stuttered.

"Now you don't have the gun, the one time we need the gun?" Kie panicked even more.

I hugged her to comfort her and looked up at JJ.

"It was in my backpack, and then I-"

"You left it on the porch" I remembered.

JJ pointed at me for remembering. I shot out the door to get the gun and JJ followed.

"John Routledge!" We heard a man shout causing JJ to grab my hand and we sprinted back to the office.

"They're on the front porch" I announced to the others.

"We gotta leave" Kie said looking around trying to find a way out.

We could hear John B's house getting destroyed by the men that had broken in.

"Guys, the window" I pointed running over to it.

JJ, Pope and I tried to pull it up and open.

"Why isn't it opening" I groaned.

"It's painted shut" Pope grunted.

I turned around and saw John B leaning against the door stopping them from bursting it down.

"Here" Kie said snapping me out of my thoughts.

I took the knife that she handed me and started to cut the paint away.

"Taylor, hurry!" JJ said in my ear.

"I'm going as fast as I can!" I dug through the paint.

"Shhh"

"Be quiet"

I saw Pope had now joined John B over at the door to help it not get broken down. Suddenly the man started to boot down the door making me work even quicker.

JJ pulled and the window lifted up. He climbed out first and then held his arms out so he could catch me when I climbed out. One after the other we all jumped out the window. John B was the last one, and he shut it behind him.

"Where the fuck do we go?" I panicked.

"Uh, the chicken coop" Pope pointed.

We all sprinted and got down on our knees to climb into the chicken coop. I realised JJ was behind me, and probably getting a lovely view of my ass.

"JJ don't look at my ass" I said before crawling into the chicken coop.

"No promises" I heard him say behind me.

I rolled my eyes at his comment.

We all sat huddled up closely together against the wall of the chicken coop. My heart started to breath after and my breath hitched in my throat. I felt someone grab my hand.

I looked down and saw it was JJ's

I looked down and saw it was JJ's. I felt more relaxed.

I looked out a small crack in the chicken coop to see that the two men were taking things out of John B's house and putting it in their car. The annoying sound of the roster, that I did love, was drawing so much attention to where we were.

"Do something Pope, shut him up" JJ pointed at the rooster.

"What do you want me to do?"

"Pet it, or talk to it. I don't know" Kie started to sob.

I heard the car do slam and saw the man look straight at the chicken coop.

"Fuck, fuck, fuck" I whispered putting my head against the wall.

"Shhh, we're fine" JJ rubbed my hand.

The roster made another loud nose.

"I'm sorry" was the last thing JJ said before he let go of my hand and tackled the rooster to the ground.

He grabbed a hold of its neck and pressed down until we heard a crack. The lifeless rooster laid down in JJ's hands.

Kie let out a sob, and my eyes started to tear up. JJ crawled back over to me and grabbed my hand. I yanked it away from his.

"Don't fucking touch me" I looked away from him.

"Ratter! What the hell are you doing? Let's go" was all a heard.

Moments later we saw their car pull out from John B's house and leave.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

A few hours had passed. We were now sat in the back of the Twinkie on our way to I don't even know where.

"I mean, it's obvious, right?" John B broke the silence.

"A family heirloom. What better place to hide a message? He had to know it was gonna get back to me, right?"

JJ looked up at me but I looked away wanting to avoid his eye contact after the whole rooster situation.

"Yeah, it's possible" Kie agreed with John B.

"It could be also be possible that you're concocting wild theories to help, you know, deal with your sad feels" Pope chimed in.

"Pope?" Kie looked at him in shame.

"Bro, you know how I process my sad feels. Dank bugs and the stickiest of ickies. That's how I do it" JJ smiled making me scrunch up my noise in grotesque.

"I'm not concocting, okay?" John B reasoned.

"My dads trying to give me a message"

"If it helps you believe, John B" Kie smiled at him.

"Look, I-I don't need a therapy session, okay? Look, I'm not tripping out"

"It's okay to trip, bro, but-"

"Look, my- my dad is missing, okay?" John B snapped making me switch my gaze from the window to him.

"Missing. You don't know what he's like to have the person closest to you vanish and then have no idea what happened. Just wake up every morning wondering"

"It's been almost a year" Kie said making me widen my eyes in shock.

I can relate to John B's situation. My dad, Archie Moore, did actually go missing with John B'a dad. He was my best friend. He went out to find the shipwreck one morning and the next thing I know, he's gone.

My mom then got remarried to Marco Smith. He became my step-dad. He did use to assault me, sexually. But one day I woke up and he was gone. I got told that he had a heart attack. I wasn't upset, that fucker deserved it.

"Hey, he could have been kidnapped. That's definitely a possibility" JJ spoke snapping me out of my thoughts.

"Yeah, could be in a Soviet sub getting interrogated by the KGB somewhere" Pope followed on.

"Absolutely, uh... or Atlantis"

"What do you think, Taylor?" John B asked.

"I bet he's still out there" I smiled at John B.

To be completely honest, I didn't. But I can't tell him that, it will break him.

"Look, what do you think the message is?" Kie asked.

"Redfield. Redfield lighthouse. That's my dad's favourite place"