Chapter Four ~ ANNABETH

• Chapter Four •

• ANNABETH •

Annabeth couldn't tell whether Percy was getting through or not. His face was strangely calm and expressionless, except for a small smile tugging at the corners of his mouth. Annabeth smiled fondly, then hated herself for it.

Of course, Arachne had been right. It was her fault that Percy was trapped in Tartarus with her. If Annabeth had been more careful, if she'd let Percy go up with the Parthenos... Percy would be safe.

She loved him. That much she knew. There was no way of disguising it. The way he held her, kissed her, spoke to her. He was undeniably handsome - short black hair, sea-green eyes, white dazzling teeth. He'd worked out over the years, giving him a rather athletic build. He was scruffy in a way that a skateboarder might be - something their friend, Piper, had compared him to.

He was also the kindest guy she had ever met. He cared about people - his friends, family, even strangers. It didn't matter what the consequences were, or if he was in pain. He would sacrifice himself for somebody else any day.

Annabeth had once been the same. The dream, and sitting here in Midas' room... it bought back the worst memories. She didn't want to dwell on them.

But her eyelids began to feel heavy. Before she could stop herself, she slumped down on the floor and fell asleep. 

Annabeth had the same dream, of Luke and Thalia and a younger version of herself. She saw all three of them walking through the gardens of Midas, breaking into the house they desperately needed to stay in. They were unaware of who it belonged to.

"Is it safe, Luke?" Young Annabeth asked.

"Annabeth, I told you, stop asking questions!" Luke snapped.

"Luke, she's just a kid," Thalia said quietly.

"I don't care," Luke said. "You both need to trust my decisions. We need somewhere to sleep."

"But the monsters -" Young Annabeth began.

"That's enough!" Luke yelled. Then he seemed to regain his composure. "Annabeth, Thalia. I promised to protect you both. We're going to be okay."

Annabeth could remember exactly how she'd felt. Luke rarely ever got angry. He had been Annabeth's hero. But the way he had snapped at her, a seven-year-old kid terrified of monsters with no proper training... she'd been so, so frightened and felt betrayed.

"Let's go inside," dream-Thalia said. "We need to rest up."

Young Annabeth followed her two, much-older friends. She'd always felt like the odd one out. Sure, she was treated well and looked after, and for that she was grateful. But Luke and Thalia had always had a connection. They'd been together longer, had a better understanding of monsters and Greek mythology and who they were, whereas Annabeth was the little kid they let tag along. That's how she'd felt. But she'd never said. She didn't want to risk losing the only people who cared about her.

Thalia kicked down the door, and Luke led the way. Young Annabeth tagged behind, the bronze knife that Luke had given her pointing outwards. Suddenly, the green grass took on a goldish hue, as if reflecting something.

Young Annabeth looked up. She saw a bright gold light from the windows above. Then, as quickly as it had appeared, it was gone. As if it hadn't happened.

Young Annabeth turned round to tell Luke and Thalia, but they were gone inside. Nervously, she stepped forwards to the door.

Don't, Annabeth wanted to scream at herself. Get out of there! But she knew what was going to happen. She couldn't stop it.