Chapter Twenty-Four ~ ANNABETH

• Chapter Twenty-Four • 

• ANNABETH •

The flames swirled all around me, the smoke thick and choking me. I could barely breathe. Percy was lost behind a wall of orange and gold, buried beneath the dredge of a battle.

Struggling to stand up, I coughed bitterly. Suddenly, a huge blast of fire encased me. I shielded my eyes and head automatically. That was the most important part. Physical can sometimes be saved, but psychological can never be. Luke told me that, just after he got that scar over his eye.

The dark silhouette of a man leapt before the raging flames. I realised it was Percy, trying to reach me.

Words tumbled out of my mouth, but I couldn't tell what they were. I was too scared, too ready to die.

Gaia's voice rang in my head. The prophecy depicts only the truth, girl. Come with me. Use your death as a weapon. Allow me to collect your blood.

"Never," I croaked, my voice a whisper. "Not to my mum, my family..."

Oh, please, spare me the heroics. You think the gods care about you? You think Athena cares about you? You're just an accessory. A game piece.

"Like I am to you?" I tried to say bitterly, but the words came out weak and wobbly.

I never made it a secret that I needed you. But think of Olympus as a chessboard. Zeus is the King, and the Queen is Hera.

"Well done," I spat. The flames roared in my ears. The heat burnt. "You know your games."

Gaia paused. Poseidon and Hades are the knights - although granted, Hades isn't polishing in his armour.

"Has this a point?"

Be quiet! Gaia snapped. The rooks - the castles - are Ares and Aphrodite, way too simple and straightforward bumblebrained idiots. And -

"Jeez," I said, determined not to go down without a fight. "You really are daring with your insults."

You'll have no time for humour soon, Annabeth Chase. Surely you can heed that your actions have only resulted in your untimely demise?

"Percy said... something..." The smoke was too poisonous now. I was retching in between words. "You said... untimely before..."

No. I didn't, hero.

"Yes, you... did..."

Be quiet!

"You... fall by... surprise. Your fatal flaw is... surprise. Because... even gods... cannot clearly see... the... future!"

Stop it! Stop it now!

I felt strength surge through me. I didn't know where it came from, but it was there. And I liked it.

You can't. No!

"Can't what?"

IMPOSSIBLE!

I raised an eyebrow. "What is?"

No! I foresaw the prophecy! NO!

"Something unexpected." I looked at the ground. "Something... unexpected! That's the key!"

She looked back at the fire. Percy was crying.

I love you, she mouthed.

Then she threw herself into the fire.

********

Okay, really short, but what I'm trying to tell you is THERE IS MORE ANNABETH! So to all of those who have had a go at me about killing off Annabeth - have some patience! There is always more!

I have feelings. Just like any author on here. I'm not having a go. I can understand why some of you would be mad. But Percabeth needs both Percy and Annabeth. Plus I hinted the ending of this chapter several times since the beginning of the book.

Whatever you think of me, I was never trying to be like Rick Riordan. Most of you are trying to compare me to him. I am my own creator, and this was always going to be my idea.

Of course I don't own PJO of HOO. Not cool or old enough to do that. Unfortunately. <:(

Stay tuned for a much longer Chapter Twenty-Five!

Love you all! My Lozzees!!!!

~ Lauren Susan xx