Chapter Twenty ~ PERCY

• Chapter Twenty • 

• PERCY •

It had taken a lot of persuasion, but Beckendorf had gotten the supplies for Elisya's plan. Mikey and Percy were now trying to set up an Iris-message, but there was no light to create anything that resembled a rainbow. Elisya would've been some help, but she'd disappeared for that general assembly thing.

"Hold this, Percy." Mikey handed Percy a mirror. "Just tilt it towards the - no, not like that! Like this - no, no! I - ugh, just give it here."

Percy gave the mirror to Mikey. "So. You and Elisya?"

He swore Mikey blushed. "Yeah. She's a good friend."

"More than a friend, maybe?"

"Maybe. I really wish I could see her. Someday I will, I know I will. Someday."

Percy nodded, then felt stupid because of what Mikey had just said.

"So. You and Annabeth?" Mikey asked. "How long have you guys been together?"

"Over a year," Percy said. "We kissed on my sixteenth birthday, on the day Luke died and Kronos was defeated. We've been an item ever since."

"That's good. She was always hinting at you, man. You just never saw. You'd have thought you'd notice she liked you when she was in tears burning your shroud - y'know, when you went and cavorted with Calypso."

"I didn't cavort with anyone!"

"Should've told that to Annabeth. She was gutted for weeks. Ah, here we go!"

Mikey had the mirror held over a puddle of water. Multicolour streaked the cooled liquid. A sphere of mist hovered above.

"O' Iris, goddess of messages," Percy said. "Show me Grover Underwood and Nico di Angelo."

The sphere shimmered and two dark shapes appeared. Percy could make out one of them had brown curly hair and the other short scruffy black hair.

"Grover! Nico!" he cried.

The faces became more distinct. It was definitely his friends. They were in some room - a room that Percy recognised as his own onboard the Argo II.

"Percy!" Nico exclaimed. He looked much better than he had the last time Percy had seen him. He actually had a tan. That wasn't the Nico that Percy usually saw.

"Hey, kid," Percy said weakly. The joy of seeing his best friends was extraordinarily draining.

"Percy!" Grover bleated. "Man, have I missed you!"

"I've missed you too. Are you in Greece yet?"

Nico nodded. "We're waiting for you, mate. Gaia... she's been sending us some warnings. One hour."

"Is that all?"

"Yes," Grover said. "What does it mean?"

"Look, can I speak to Jason quickly? It's important."

Nico and Grover waved, then disappeared. Someone started shouting in the background.

"Get lost, Beauty Queen!" The familiar impish face of Leo Valdez appeared through the mist. "Hey, Jackson! Long time no see."

"Hi, Leo. I heard you've arrived safely in Greece."

"Oh yeah, man, three days ago! We're tip-top ship-shop on time - nah, don't sound right, does it? Anyways. You wanted Jason?"

"Yeah, thanks. It's urgent."

Leo turned round and hollered, "Lightning Boy! Beauty Queen!"

A girl laughed. "Move out of the way, Repair Boy!"