Chapter Six ~ ANNABETH

• Chapter Six •

• ANNABETH •

"Percy!" Annabeth yelled. "Where are you?"

The dust was choking. Annabeth couldn't stop coughing and spluttering. The twelve doors of the Olympians had been buried beneath rock and rubble. So had Percy.

He didn't bear the mark of Achilles any more. He was vulnerable, exposed. Annabeth had deflected some debris with her knife and quick-dodging, due to her smaller frame. But Percy - with no water, and no weapon, he was defenceless.

"Percy!" she called again.

Nothing. No flash of an orange Camp Half-Blood t-shirt. No grubby hand sticking through gaps of rock. Just dust, swirling around the air, causing Annabeth's eyes to water.

She couldn't see anything except the destruction in front of her. Cautiously, she stepped onto some of the debris. It held her weight.

Then she started clawing through the rocks. They weighed at least one hundred and fifty kilos, which many not seem like much, but with at least thirty piled on top of a possibly-crushed half-blood - well, it was terrifying what the consequences could be.

"Percy!" she cried. "Please, please, please tell me you're okay!"

Silence.

Tears trickled down Annabeth's cheeks - out of despair, fear and frustration. She hated not knowing what to do, not being able to cope. She was the one who was supposed to die, not Percy. She couldn't let him go. Not now, not ever.

"Percy," she whispered. "I love you."

The lack of response was devastating. All she wanted to do was hug him, and kiss him, just get one last glimpse at his face.

She lifted up another rock and found the hard earth. No hand, no leg, no shred of clothing. No trace of Percy Jackson.

Annabeth's cries grew louder. She'd never felt more helpless in her whole life. She bent over and rested her head on her knees, sobs racking up and down her body.

"I..." she gasped. "Percy... I..."

"Ugggggghhhhh."

Annabeth looked up. The lumps of rock were slowly breaking away. Grubby fingers poked through a gap, followed by a hand, and then an arm.

"Percy!"

Annabeth jumped up and ran to the arm. She grabbed her boyfriend's hand, which clasped around her own, and pulled. He came out, too quickly, too safely. He was pretty unharmed, apart from a load of grime.

"Thanks," he said, dusting himself off. Something didn't seem right.

"You okay?" Annabeth asked.

Percy nodded, his movements jerkey. "Good good. Good. Percy fine."

"Um... you sure?"

"Sure. Very sure. Percy sure!"

His eyes were too bright, too green. His hair was short and clipped, not scruffy and longish like it was supposed to be. He wasn't as bulked up, and probably an inch taller than he should be.

"You're not Percy," Annabeth said. "Who are you?"

The non-Percy laughed. "I'm Percy. Percy Johnson."

"That's not your name."

"Pierre Johannasburg?"

"Guess again."

Non-Percy growled. "LISTEN TO ME!"

Annabeth recognised that voice. It was in her nightmares frequently. Kronos.

"YOU WILL OBEY ME!" Kronos yelled.

Annabeth took a step back and drew her knife. "What have you done with Percy?"

"The boy is nearly dead," Kronos announced, his voice calm but menacing. "There is nothing you can do to save him. The great Percy Jackson is beyond any help."

"I killed you once, Kronos."

"NO!" Kronos bellowed. "Luke Castellan killed me! You simply owned the blade." He eyed Annabeth's knife, and fear danced up and down in his pupils. "No matter. Luke Castellan is dead. And soon, Percy Jackson will be dead too."

"The prophecy states that it will be me who dies," Annabeth said as bravely as possible. "Not Percy. Percy will not die."

Kronos grunted. "Maybe you speak truth. But after your death, the prophecy will no longer be valid. I will torture Percy Jackson until then. Then, I shall kill him."

"Release him, Kronos!" Annabeth screamed angrily.

Then she had an idea. She lunged forwards, and drove the knife into the crook below Kronos' arm. Kronos cried in pain, his eyes flashing from green to gold like lightning on a hill.

"NO!" he howled. "IMPOSSIBLE! YOU CANNOT WIN! I AM A TITAN!"

"We beat you once," Annabeth said, her tone steely. "We beat you again. Nobody messes with my boyfriend. You got that?"

"I AM A TITAN! YOU CANNOT DEFEAT ME. I AM THE LORD TITAN! I -"

Then Percy fell.

Annabeth caught him just before he crumpled onto the floor. She held him in his arms as Kronos' last cries silenced. His body returned to his normal size. Relief flooded through her when his eyes transformed back to that beautiful shade of green, like the sea on a warm evening by the sunset at Camp Half-Blood. She kissed his forehead.

"Percy?" she whispered.

He looked up at her. "Hey, Wise Girl."

She slapped his chest - hard. "Don't you dare turn into an evil Lord Titan again, Percy Jackson, or so help me -"

"Received and understood," he said, laughing with that sarcastically gorgeous laugh. "It won't happen again."

"Good," Annabeth said, returning his smile. She wrapped her arms around his neck, and his arms cradled her waist. "I was worried, for a minute," she said quietly into his ear. "Thought I might be a relationship with the guy who almost destroyed Olympus."

Percy laughed again. "That wouldn't be good, eh?"

"Nah. Even a Seaweed Brain like you is better."

Percy pulled back and poked his tongue out. "No fair!"

Annabeth and Percy hugged, laughing. It was crazy. They were filthy, without a shower in nearly a week; they had no way of telling where they were going; Annabeth was supposed to be dead once they found the Doors, and they were facing a new nightmare by the hour. But they were happy. Even for a moment, they were happy.

"We need to find a way out," Percy said.

So they started digging.

********

Two parts in one day! Plus I've been at school all day! VERY pleased with myself :)

Hopefully Chapter Seven will be published tomorrow, and possibly Chapter Eight... I'm quite a fast updater :D

So... Kronos! Remember in Percy Jackson and The Last Olympian, he wasn't dead - but scattered into Tartarus. Chiron assumed that Kronos wouldn't be able to form a consciousness, but Kronos is a Titan after all!

What next? Monster, god, Titan? Something new? I'm thinking!

Next chapter will be in Percy's. And we'll see what that dream was about, what Percy is hiding from Annabeth... hmm. Looking forward to writing it!

Gonna go to bed soon :'( sorry tired!

Night-night Wattpaddees (lol gonna come up with a cute name for y'all!)

Love y'all!

~ Lauren Susan xx