Chapter Eighteen ~ ANNABETH

• Chapter Eighteen • 

• ANNABETH •

"I... I'm going to die?"

Mika threw Annabeth a sideways glance. "Yes. I'm sorry. You seem like such a lovely girl. You're beautiful enough to be a Siren. But Korna is in charge. You can't escape her!"

"I defeated Arachne," Annabeth said quickly. "The Lord Kronos died by my knife. I have killed other monsters too, along with the help of Percy Jackson!"

"You're Percy Jackson's famous girlfriend?" Mika gasped. "I knew you were real, but I couldn't picture you as you are! My, you're so beautiful."

The attention was a little unwanted, but another glance at that blade saw that this was necessary.

"She's taking me to the Doors. That's all I care about."

Korna seemed to notice she was being spoken about. "Listen 'ere, girl. Gaia 'as offered me a lot o' money in return fer yer arrival. Ya will be given to 'er, understood?"

"Oh, I understand," Annabeth said with a cocky grin. "It's okay. I was always planning on coming face-to-face with the evil dirt woman."

The ground rumbled beneath their feet. Mika whimpered.

"Shut it, girl!" Korna snarled. "Yer just a tool."

Annabeth couldn't believe that she had thought there was any kindness in that creature. But she had to brush those thoughts away. She had to come across as strong, not weak.

"Gaia's got standards," Annabeth mused. "I would love to rule the grass. Pretty interesting, don't you think?"

In a small but quick movement, Korna had her hound round Annabeth's throat and had her lifted against the cavern's wall. The leathery texture of the Siren's hand worried Annabeth more than the creature herself.

"Do not mock ma mistress!" Korna thundered. Spit was projected from her lips. A dark unsteady anxiety filled those soft eyes. Korna wasn't just a psycho killer. She was an insane psycho killer.

"Korna, please," Mika insisted desperately. "We only have a little f-further to go. Gaia won't be b-best p-p-pleased if Miss Chase shows any sign of injury."

Korna loosened her grip slightly. "Can I not make an exception?"

"Of course," Mika said as brightly as she could. "Just don't expect Gaia to let you off for choking the girl."

A flash of annoyance danced in Korna's eyes, then was quickly replaced by a sheet of coldness. "Whate'er."

Her hand released Annabeth's neck. Annabeth fell to the floor, gagging in pain. She forced the bile down. She was so close. A few more minutes, she was sure.

"Get up," Korna commanded.

Struggling to get up, Annabeth stumbled. Her neck throbbed painfully.

Mika rushed over and steadied Annabeth by the arm. "S'okay. Come on. Up you get."

They all began walking again. Once more, Annabeth looked at that blade. Although she was sure Mika wasn't as cruel as her sister, she wasn't sure if she could trust her. Mika was still a cold-blooded killer, killing men who fell for her beautiful music.

That's not fair, Annabeth chastised herself. It's not exactly her fault. It's her nature.

She shook the thoughts aside and looked, yet again, down at the blade. It was about five inches, thin and sharp. It was more lethal than Annabeth had first thought. She took a step closer to Mika. When Mika looked over warily, Annabeth faked a small whimper, as if she was scared.