Chapter Seven ~ PERCY

• Chapter Seven •

• PERCY •

Percy was scared. He shifted rocks, lifted broken wooden doors, helped Annabeth when she struggled. But his dream still bothered him. It frightened him.

Annabeth was oblivious. Yes, she knew he was holding something back. Yet for the time, she seemed to have forgotten about it. 

But Percy definitely hadn't.

•••

Percy was on Half-Blood Hill, back at his camp, his home. It was a warm evening, and Annabeth lay beside him on a chequered blanket.

"Sandwich?" she asked, pointing to a picnic basket between them.

He nodded. "Sure."

She handed him one. "Peanut butter and jam. Tyson made them."

Percy laughed. "That figures."

He remembered that night. It had been roughly two weeks before he was taken by Hera. Annabeth had been up the Hill earlier that day and set up a beautiful picnic, with Grover and Tyson's help. All the other kids had steered clear from the Hill on Annabeth's orders, but they didn't mind. 'Percabeth', as they were nicknamed by their campmates, were the hot topic of all demigod gossip.

"This is nice," Percy said, gazing up at the stars. He reached for Annabeth's hand. "Thank you."

Her misty-grey eyes shone and she grinned. Then she opened her mouth to say something, but then the dream changed.

Percy was in his cabin, with Grover in front of him.

"Percy." Grover's tone was sincere. "We don't have much time. I've been trying to connect to you for months."

"Why -"

"Let me do the talking," Grover said. "Like I said, we haven't got time."

Percy nodded. "Okay."

"Firstly, the prophecy. Do you know it?"

"Personally told by Dolus."

"As in?"

"God of magic tricks and white lies. Or something like that."

Grover's eyebrows furrowed, but he didn't say anything. "Okay. So in the prophecy, a daughter of Athena..."

Percy felt his face grow hot. "She's not going to die, Grover. It's not happening on my watch."

"Percy, you can't divert a prophecy! Rachel issued exactly the same prophecy. Plus it was delivered by a god. That's not good, Percy."

"Listen, Grover, I've made myself perfectly clear - Annabeth WILL NOT DIE!"

Behind Grover, the water fountain installed by Poseidon had been fixed - presumably by Tyson. Now, it shattered into tiny pieces, water and drachmas swirling around the satyr's feet. Grover jumped a little.

"Thanks, Percy!" He shook his shaggy now-sodden hindquarters. "I never finished my sentence, okay? I'm hoping just as much as you that Annabeth will live. But the odds are that it is her. It would be a very high coincidence if it wasn't."

Dolus had said something similar. That didn't help Percy's mood.

"She's not dying," Percy said firmly.

Grover seemed to be fading. "Percy, just hear me out. Nico - he doesn't know if he can find the Doors again. He's scared."

"Then tell him to grow up! Annabeth is in danger of dying because of some dumb prophecy - and we might not get help because Nico di Angelo, son of the god of death for Christ's sake, won't help us?"