Chapter Twenty-Seven ~ PERCY

• Chapter Twenty-Seven • 

• PERCY •

Percy was in the downstairs café with Hazel and Frank. It had been built by Leo and Jason during Percy's time away. Robot waiters served them, and everything was free.

"One cappuccino, if you'd please," Hazel said politely to the waiter. "And a blue Coke for Percy, I think."

"I'll take a hot chocolate, please," Frank said. He paused. "With whipped cream, marshmallow, chocolate sprinkles and a flake," he added.

"Any cakes?" the robot asked.

"Please may we have three slices of fudge heaven?" Hazel ordered.

The waiter nodded and trundled off, its wheels squeaking along the polished wooden floors.

Hazel and Frank sat opposite Percy. He was nervous. This could work. Annabeth could be alive.

"I hope that's what you would like," Hazel said quietly. "But you don't have to have any of it. I just think you'd feel better without an empty stomach."

She held his hands across the table reassuringly.

"I missed you guys," Percy admitted. "More than you'd ever know."

"We missed you too," Frank said. "It's... it's been hectic."

"What's happened?"

"Well. Gaia sent all sorts of minions after us to stop us getting to Greece. It wasn't easy." Frank glanced at his girlfriend. "Hazel almost died. Again."

"Shut up, Frank," Hazel mumbled. "I was fine."

"If you call almost bleeding to death fine," Frank said. He rolled his eyes at Percy. "She got speared by two drachanae. Real nasty beasts. Piper has a tough job getting them off Hazel, but thank gods she did, just in time."

"Frank!" Hazel was blushing. Percy couldn't help laughing.

"It's nice to be back together again," he said. "A breath of fresh air is just what I've needed."

Hazel nodded. Frank grinned.

"Let's have a catch-up," Frank suggested. "Like we're just three normal kids who haven't seen each other around for a few weeks."

And so they did. Percy told them all about Tartarus and the monsters - Arachne, Medusa, Dr. Thorn. He explained about the god of trickery, Dolus, who issued the prophecy. He described the Doors of Death, watching as Hazel and Frank shifted uncomfortably. He praised Mikey and Elisya and Beckendorf and Silena, and how he wished they were all okay.

In turn, Hazel and Frank spoke about the gruelling journey from Rome to Greece. They told of the creatures they faced - drachanae, Cyclopes, manticores, basilisks. Frank explained in detail of how he fought a giant called Phoesus, and how Phoesus stole his stick that his lifeline was tied to. Then Hazel rescued it, and they banished it to Hestia's hearth where it could always be looked after and protected. That sounded stupid to Percy, seeing as a hearth is fire and that was Frank's weakness, but he said nothing.

"At least you and Annabeth never broke apart," Frank said.

Percy nodded. "I only coped because she was there. It was like when Hera stole my memories. Back then, Annabeth kept me going. She kept me strong. When we were in hell together, she was the one who convinced me to stay calm. Otherwise, I know I would have gone insane."

He paused. "Enough about me. What state are the gods in?"

Hazel grinned. "Much better. We all know Athena was torn before Annabeth went on her journey, and when she learnt Annabeth was destined to die, she went ballistic. But we returned the Athena Parthenos in Epirus, at the original Olympus in Greece. Athena was stronger.