Chapter Fifteen ~ PERCY

• Chapter Fifteen • 

• PERCY •

Percy was suffocating. His eyes were blank, unable to see anything. Clawing at the earth with his fingers. Dirt sliding down his throat as smoothly as water. Mud clung to his every limb.

Percy.

He stopped. Opening his mouth to speak, clumps of stone and mud filled his lungs.

Don't try. This is my domain. Listen to what I have to show you.

A vision appeared in front of him. He saw Annabeth searching through Tartarus, calling him. Then he saw a change in her face.

She started shouting - her voice was as clear as day. Percy listened intently.

"I'm not going to rescue you, Percy!" Annabeth called into the gloominess. "Gaia can do what she wants to you! I'm past caring. No thanks!"

She continued to yell more stuff, about how Athena should've killed him, how she didn't love him. Then the vision disappeared.

His gut felt like it had been sliced with a knife over and over again. Nothing could compare to this pain.

He found the ability to speak. "What... what was that?"

That was just a glimpse. Annabeth Chase cares nothing about you. She was always looking out for herself. Where do you stand about that, Percy?

"You're wrong," he said, his voice wavering. He wasn't sure.

Something knocked him in the stomach. He gasped, pain swelling in the pit of his gut.

Sleep, my pawn. And when you awaken, you'll enjoy what I have in store for you.

Percy grasped again, but he just felt earth caking his fingernails again. And suddenly, he was plunged into darkness.

"Did the Earth Mistress send him here?"

"Yes. He's the one who's been travelling with the daughter of Athena. Mistress says she is key. His blood will be spilt on the ancient floors to awaken her."

"But... but do you think we can really guard him? That last demigod, that son of Hades..."

"Ephialtes and Otis took him because Mistress ordered them to. How many times, Floodly? It wasn't our fault he disappeared!"

Groggily, Percy sat up. Two figures loomed over him, their doggish faces glaring down at him with angry yellow eyes. Telkhines.

"Who are you?" Percy asked, shuffling backwards.

"We are workers of the Mistress," one of them, with a gruff voice, said. "I am Locksmith, son of Dolus. This is my younger brother, Floodly."

Floodly, who had a more squeaky voice, grinned sheepishly. "Hi."

Locksmith rolled his eyes. "Excuse my brother. He lacks in intelligence but makes up for it with... well, with... with bodily hair."

Percy groaned. "Where... where am I?"

"Don't you know?" Floodly grumbled. "Even I know!"

Locksmith grinned and gestured around him with wide fishlike-arms. "Welcome, to the Doors of Death."

"What?" Percy asked. "No way is this the..."

He stopped and looked around. It was a huge cavern, much bigger than the replica of Midas' room or the pool. The ground was black and made of clouds, with sky-high grey walls of rock. Then Percy noticed the monsters.

There had to be at least a thousand monsters, but most likely more. Telkhines, hellhounds, drachanae, Cyclopes, harpies, manticores, Hyperborean giants - not to mention hundreds of dead demigods. Percy even saw Silena Beauregard, skulking in a group of working floating demigods. Her ghostly eyes met his, and then she smiled timidly, before returning to her work.

Locksmith followed Percy's gaze. "They are the dead, as you can see. Hades released them to find Kronos, although they weren't successful. We captured them. Now, they are our slaves."

Percy felt sorry for Silena. He wanted to run over, but he still felt groggy.

"Why am I here?" he asked.

"The Earth Mother," Floodly said. "She has requested your blood. She knows the girl will come to rescue you, and your bloods will be used for awakening my mistress in three days."

Percy suddenly felt more awake. He was at the Doors. When Annabeth arrived, they would be able to close the Doors. Together. And they'd be reunited. She hadn't meant those things. A clever trick. Percy instantly felt stronger as an idea burned in his head.

"What are the workers needed for?" Percy said.

Locksmith growled and said nothing, froth swirling at the mouth. Floodly gave Percy a toothy grin.

"Ignore my brother. He doesn't like talking about it because I was the one Mistress asked to guard the workers, not him. The workers are needed for keeping the Doors open - we are working on permanently opening them, this time. Spirits of the dead owe us. We will release them. They owe us all!"

Percy struggled to his feet. "How about I help them? I'm stronger than they are. What do I have to do?"

"You need to join the ghosts in Section Three," Locksmith announced, ditching his angry mood. "Beckendorf will show you from there."

********

Sorry about this update, I know it's short and it took too long to be done. STRESSFUL WEEK. All my friends are fighting and I'm the only one they'll all talk to, which makes me unpopular... hmmm. Oh, and apparently I fancy one of my best mates (he's a boy).

So. Yeah.

Don't wanna load my problems onto you guys though!

So... time for some good news!!!

917 reads. 83 more and... sequel!

When Percabeth is completed (which won't take much longer), the sequel will be begun.

Love y'all readers!

~ Lauren Susan xx