Chapter Twenty-Three ~ PERCY

• Chapter Twenty-Three • 

• PERCY •

Annabeth was slowly lain across the ground, her body limp. Percy struggled against the storm spirits' grips, but couldn't break away.

"Annabeth!" he yelled. "Annabeth!"

Percy waited. But there was no answer.

She's gone, Gaia said.

The pain in his neck from where it had been cut was nothing compared to that in his heart.

Get ready to die, hero. Your life has been building up to this moment. Now die. DIE!

Percy hung his head. It was time to give up.

"Yo, Ocean Boy, you're missing the show!"

A blinding light erupted before Percy's eyes. He shielded them with a blood-soaked arm. When he could finally look, he saw a huge ship hovering above.

"I don't believe it," he mumbled. "The Argo II!"

Leo Valdez stood at the helm, grinning wildly.

No! The blood must be spilt!

"Not today, my dirt-faced friend!" Leo said, grinning impishly. Jason Grace appeared by his side, holding a rope ladder.

He chucked it down and Percy crept forwards. Then he turned to where Annabeth's body lay in a heap.

"I can't... leave her," he croaked.

Jason shouted something to his friends, than slid down the ladder, sword drawn. He joined Percy and looked at the wound.

"It's deep," he said worriedly. "We need to get you to an Apollo camper soon."

Percy nodded wearily, then gazed at Annabeth. "We need... to..."

His vision blurred. Thankfully, Jason understood. He ran forwards and slung Annabeth over his shoulder, then, slower this time, returned for Percy. They hobbled over to the ladder.

NO! YOU CANNOT LEAVE ME!

"How do I get her up?" Jason called to Leo.

Leo bit his lip. "Leave that to me."

He disappeared. A minute later, a huge mechanical hand appeared and plucked Annabeth up. Percy and Jason clung to the metal fingers.

NO! YOU CANNOT LEAVE ME! I AM GAIA, EARTH GODDESS!

A sound like a clock chime echoed through the dog. Gaia's screams could be heard above all.

"Death is free!" the storm spirits chanted. "Death is welcomed once more! Death is free to reign!"

Mikey and Elisya appeared, panting heavily. They arrived just in time to see Percy wave and disappear.

"I can see!" Mikey gasped.

Elisya looked at where she'd had her scars. "They're gone!"

They looked at each other, then hugged tightly.

"The Doors," Elisya said. "Shut them!"

The storm spirits, finally out of Gaia's control, obliged happily.

Percy had time to look over the edge of the ship, before the Doors of Death were closed.

And then, they arrived in Greece.

•••

The cool summer breeze was beautiful. Sunshine poured through the windows of Percy's cabin aboard the Argo II. Almost everything was just how he had left it, except it had been given a spring clean by one of Leo's mechanical creations.