Chapter Five ~ ANNABETH

• Chapter Five •

• ANNABETH •

The golden glow from Annabeth's knife lit the way. Annabeth got a closer look at the walls - black rocks, covered with grime, and - worst of all - spiders. Huge, hairy, spindly creatures with beady black eyes and long thin legs. They were bigger than Annabeth's hand, hanging from silvery webs that dangled in every crevice. Annabeth's eyes widened as one fell very close to her face.

Percy seemed to sense her discomfort, and gently took her hand. "Are you alright?"

Annabeth forced herself to nod. "Yeah. Yeah, I am."

She focused on his face to calm her down. His sea-green eyes that had a bluish hue always made her smile. His black hair was scruffy and dirty, since neither had washed for - what, four days, now? He had a square jaw, as a result of the gruelling workout he'd endured with Lupa the wolves. His lips formed into that playful sarcastic smile she'd grown to love more than most things about him.

"Love you," he said.

"Love you too," Annabeth said, returning his smile.

They walked hand-in-hand down the tunnels, Annabeth stepping carefully. She could barely believe that she was still afraid of spiders after meeting and battling Arachne - twice - but that ball of fear was bubbling inside her, ready to explode.

Percy slashed at some cobwebs, sending some spiders tumbling. "Let's just get out of here. Then, we can rest. You need to calm down."

Annabeth realised she was shaking. She tightened her grip on Percy's hand to steady herself, then follow him as he led the way.

Eventually, they came out into a separate tunnel. That's all Tartarus was - tunnel after tunnel after tunnel. They were all the same, except for the occasional temperature drop or a fresh nightmare.

The new tunnel had more than one exit; twelve in total, all in a semicircle in front of them. Each exit had an arched wooden door, and on each door was a different symbol. Annabeth realised they represented the Olympians.

The first was clearly Zeus, with a foot-long lightning bolt. The second was a trident, the symbol of Poseidon. The third had a skull-and-cross bones representing Hades. It went on, until it reached Dionysus at the end with a goblet of wine. Annabeth spotted her mother's door - a grey owl with its wings extended.

Percy stepped forwards and examined them. "Have you seen this before?"

"No," Annabeth said. "Have you?"

He shook his head. "So maybe not everything is based on our nightmares. Maybe something more -"

"Hello!" a low, raspy voice boomed. "Welcome, Perseus Jackson. Your arrival has been most appreciated."

Percy uncapped Riptide. "Who are you?"

"I am the one who will tell you your prophecy!" the voice shouted. "But for a price!"

Annabeth could see Percy's shoulders tense. His knuckles turned white as he squeezed the hilt of his sword.

"Yes, Perseus Jackson! I know exactly what you want most - but is it necessarily what you need?"

"You sound familiar," Percy said. "Do I know you?"

"From your dream, demigod!"

Annabeth saw Percy's face pale. "I dreamt of my friends."

"And did you not feel my presence, Perseus?" The voice laughed. "Of course you did. But fear consumed you."

Percy's shoulders shook. "Listen, I don't know who you are, but -"